Engine Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudged Undies

Reaction score
Need some input. In the process of doing head gaskets on the trac. Been taking my time due to the not so "normal" nature of the 4.0. I have pulled the driver side head and have some surface rust on the cylinder walls. At least partly due to the head gasket issue. The question now becomes cleanup. The appropriate thing to do, I would think, is the hone the walls and be done with it. Since I'm doing this myself I'm not really interested in pulling the block and doing a full rebuild at this point.

So now I ask what can I do to alleviate this issue. I sprayed some lube spray and lightly wipe down the walls cleaning up alot of it but there is still some left.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If it is just a slight surface rust and is not pitted, you simply need to clean up the walls a bit.

You can buy a few different type of low-end cylinder wall honing tools that will clean up the walls without taking much metal off the walls, just the rust.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not do any thing other then some light sand paper or the monkey baller OR small hone, IF you do any thing to the ring surface, the rings will not seat right,,,

Todd Z

As Todd points out, I would do nothing more that simply remove the surface rust. That is what I meant to express, sorry if it came out differently.

Todd is right...you can do more damage than good with

the honer....unless you are really proficient with it. Use super fine

emery cloth.....by hand.:cool: