Engine is losing power! HELP!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Baltagi

Reaction score
I think the engine is getting old!!! I only have like 65000 miles on it! I have noticed lately that when i drive with the a/c on for at least 10 minutes, and when i go to turn off the a/c before i turn off the car, the engine power REALLY drops... as if the car was going to shut off by itself.... What could cause this big power loss? any suggestions?... Any reccomendation?!?!.

Thanks

Sean

First thing I'd ask is: are you up on regular maintenance?

Have you changed the air filter and fuel filter lately?

Cleaned the IAC?

At 65,000 miles you probably need new spark plugs and plug wires.

Getting a Check Engine light?

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm VERY up on changing oil (mobile 1)no more than every 5000 miles. i cleaned my k&n intake filter not too long ago. clean my IAC last week... literally. No check engine light... But i HAVE NOT changed my plugs and wires yet! What will i notice when its time to change them?

Anything else?.......

Go with the plugs (Autolite Double-Platinums) and the new wires.

With 65K, I can almost guarantee the difference will be noticable.

Better starting, accelleration, and idle.

The 100, 000 plug change interval is just a myth given to you by the

manufacturers to make you think you are getting a superior vehicle.

I have noticed performance degradation in as little as 40,000 miles in many of

my vehicles that supposedly had 100,000 mile tune-up intervals. :D

This could be the infamous cracked vacuum hose elbow. I had similar problems when I would run the trac with the AC on. The normal Idle is around 900 - 1000 rpms. When I would stop at a light, or whatever, with the AC on, the idle would drop to around 400 rpms and get rough. If I drove with the AC off, there was no problem.

Then I found the cracked vacuum elbow that has recieved a lot of attention on this site. I replaced it at Autozone for $3 and no problems since.

The Hawk :cool:

I dont have the pics, but if someone does (CoastieJoe?) you could post them and I bet Sean would appreciate.