Engine misfires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is misfiring. The check engine light should be on. Get the codes read at parts store, and report back. Tell us the code numbers and what the store clerk said. The clerks are not always right.

Could be Plugs\Wires\Coil; are they still originals?
Could be a VacLeak.

Going to say it's the Plugs (there no wires). We have those awesome, two-piece plugs (the coils are on the plugs, no wires).

I'll give you the BAD news: I let my buddy, that I trust inherently. He charged me almost $800 to change the plugs and coils on my truck. The parts, themselves, were almost $600 of that $800 that he charged me. Going from the 2-piece plugs to single-piece plugs, that won't break-off in the head, will cost you probably $40/plug. Then, getting good, new caps for each plug, that's another 25-30/plug (for good ones) 65/80-per cylinder, yeah, it's expensive. But I did NOT want to mess with the single-piece plugs on this truck. I can't believe that it's not more spoken about than the big I'm griping about here!!!

BUT! I went from having the deadly-wrench-light, to having nothing. He also pointed out that I have a very minimal leak around my oil pan, have a small leak in the rear diff, and my driveshaft is about to splinter on me. That last part is a big BOOOOO! As no one in my are will work on driveshafts! Does anyone have an DS experience? I'm leaning toward a Dorman Driveshaft.

Going to say it's the Plugs (there no wires). We have those awesome, two-piece plugs (the coils are on the plugs, no wires).

I'll give you the BAD news: I let my buddy, that I trust inherently. He charged me almost $800 to change the plugs and coils on my truck. The parts, themselves, were almost $600 of that $800 that he charged me. Going from the 2-piece plugs to single-piece plugs, that won't break-off in the head, will cost you probably $40/plug. Then, getting good, new caps for each plug, that's another 25-30/plug (for good ones) 65/80-per cylinder, yeah, it's expensive. But I did NOT want to mess with the single-piece plugs on this truck. I can't believe that it's not more spoken about than the big I'm griping about here!!!
Thanks for your information, will get started on my project.

Thanks for your information, will get started on my project.
Let us know what you figured out!

It's not inexpensive to change out the coil-packs and plugs on this vehicle; But, once you're working with the single-piece plugs, then it's maybe $50/cylinder, instead of the $100/cyinder that you'll deal with, when you have the originals. Also good news is that, it's a once-replaced part, unless you think you're going to get more than a 1/4million miles on the truck. :)

I expect to get another 150-200K miles on mine, so that's not something to NOT expect. BUT, you WILL have to replace plugs/coil-packs. after 100K miles. That's what I was trying to set you up for. :)

Latest posts