engine noise when cranking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
when i crank my trac in the morning i get a sound as if the fan is hitting something but as soon as it idles down from cranking it goes away and it only does it when the engine is cold and has sat over night. o yea the new belt fixed my squeaking noies.

Ok, looking at this picture, it is item number 2.

What happens is, the gear (teeth) them selves become defective, or, the clutch within the Bendix and or the sleeve it all slides on wears. When this happens, it affects how the engine turns over as it is a poor engagement.

[Broken External Image]:

Here is a good shot, though not set up like the Trac,,, it is a good representation...

abedcb06377d091e4abfb2949f4d0d1d.jpg

I was thinking bendix not throwing the gear in enough. Then I saw coasties post...

Depending on the age and wear and tear. If it is the starter. May be better for a new or remanufactored. Other new parts will be installed.

Not always, Eddie. Usually, it sounds like someone is shaking a beer can full of gravel on startup.

I have the exact same problem. The hubby said it sounds like a dry engine, like the seals aren't able to hold oil up in the engine for that long of a time so the engine is dry in the morning.

Question...if it was a starter...wouldn't it do it all of the time and not just on cold starts?