Engine Not Cranking Over

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Davis

Reaction score
Long time member here but have not posted for a while. Love my truck, but it's starting to show its age (280k miles). My latest problem is for the past few months it will not start. Battery is fine. When I turn the key... all lights go on (radio, gages, etc). Just no fire. No click or anything. This happens maybe 1 in every 25 starts. Sometimes it fires up on the second try. Other times (like this morning) it will not start for a while. Seems to be no rhyme or reason. Cold weather or warm weather.

Every time I take it to my Ford dealer (30 miles away) it works, of course. It is now sitting in my driveway unresponsive.

Any suggestions at all??? I am not at all a mechanic. But I know people in the neighborhood who are. If I can get a clue then maybe they can put a meter on it or something.

Thanks guys

Start with basics: have a MultiMeter, basic wrenches & sandpaper\steelwool or small brass\stainlessbrush?
How old is Battery; typical life is 4~6years.
With Engine off: 12.6~12.8v on BatteryTerminals is good; less than 12.3v is bad.
With Engine idling: 13.5~14.5v on BatteryTerminals is good.
Inspect+Clean+Tighten all Terminals on Battery+Alternator+MainFuseBox+Starter+...
If any Terminal at all corroded\fuzzed, clean it inside+out to shiny metal.
If any Terminal cracked\damaged or will not tighten, replace it.
If problem remains after doing above, problem may be
~ StarterRelay in HoodFuseBox, swap with another relay; FuseSchedule is in OwnersManual.
~ IgnitionSwitch+KeySensor, may be worn\broken\loose; occasional SiliconeSpray in Switch does help.
~ ShiftLever+IgnitionInterlock may be loose in SteeringColumn, common issue, adjust+tighten.

Get trouble codes read.
When it does not start does the theft light blink fast?

Let us know what you find?

did you try putting it in neutral when this happens ?? how is the slop in the shifter.... or hit the starter with a wood pole and see.... could be a bunch of things. does the theft light blink fast when this happens? Try a second key ?

Thanks for the reply guys. It finally started up after i cleaned out the garage and parked the truck in it. Hasn't been that cold since then so it has started.

When it did happen I tried all kinds of things such as wiggling the gearshift when it was in park and trying to start it in neutral. I think the theft light did blink fast but I’m not positive.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted

Start with basics: have a MultiMeter, basic wrenches & sandpaper\steelwool or small brass\stainlessbrush?
How old is Battery; typical life is 4~6years.
With Engine off: 12.6~12.8v on BatteryTerminals is good; less than 12.3v is bad.
With Engine idling: 13.5~14.5v on BatteryTerminals is good.
Inspect+Clean+Tighten all Terminals on Battery+Alternator+MainFuseBox+Starter+...
If any Terminal at all corroded\fuzzed, clean it inside+out to shiny metal.
If any Terminal cracked\damaged or will not tighten, replace it.
If problem remains after doing above, problem may be
~ StarterRelay in HoodFuseBox, swap with another relay; FuseSchedule is in OwnersManual.
~ IgnitionSwitch+KeySensor, may be worn\broken\loose; occasional SiliconeSpray in Switch does help.
~ ShiftLever+IgnitionInterlock may be loose in SteeringColumn, common issue, adjust+tighten.
Is there a post on tightening the shift lever on the steering column here? I’ve had a concern about moving out of neutral into drive for a while now. The action is mushy there but I don’t have a problem with any other through the field of motion. Just that one.

Is there a post on tightening the shift lever on the steering column here? I’ve had a concern about moving out of neutral into drive for a while now. The action is mushy there but I don’t have a problem with any other through the field of motion. Just that one.
Some vids below that may help
Click here for more info\links.

Hi - I had a "sloppy" shifter also and had to change out the shift tube and one of the cast iron brackets that hold the shift tube in place. For you it may be simply that the two bolts on the bottom "ears" have worked loose - one of those ears had broken on mine and had to switch the whole tube out - the third video above from Dillard000 shows how to replace the tube - this is the video I used to troubleshoot and change everything out - very well done video - not to hard of a job but a bit of a struggle for a big old fat guy to wiggle myself into position.

I just had a good one the wire from the bendix to the armature went bad and to replace the stater i had to lower the front diff what a pain