Engine Oil change frequency

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've opted for the cheaper engine oils and more frequent changes. I prefer changing the oil on a more frequent basis. I think this makes for a cleaner engine.

For those of you doing the same...what sort of an interval/frequency are you changing it?:driving:

every 3000 miles regardless of towing or not... most people tell me every 5000 is when it needs to be done but i do every 3000 to be safe

No less than 5,000 miles, no more than 10,000 with full synthetic. Looks good every time.

No more than 3,000 miles with dino oil on my '69 Cougar.

With cheap dino, wouldn't go more than 3K miles between changes Use a good quality filter though, this is one thing I wouldn't try to save money on. Anything less than 3K miles is just a waste of money.

I used to do it every 5000 even with synthetic oil. After getting a few used oil analysis that were fine, now I just set the oil life monitor to 100% and change it when it goes off, about 7500 miles. The last time it went off at 6500 miles because 6 months came up before 7500 miles did.

I use Mobil 1 or K&N filters that have synthetic filter media instead of paper and are good for a longer time. If you are going to change it at 5000 miles or less then Motorcraft Blend oil and Motorcraft filters are perfectly fine.

IMO, with todays motors. With a motorcraft or purolator plus filter. I would go 5K on regular oil. Syn-blend, I would go 7K miles. My choice of syn-blend is motorcraft or valvoline.

I have ran both of those for 7K on past cars. No problems at all.

In my trac Im running full syn @ 10K and K&N filter.

My lab results were very good. Blackstones' Lab Techs' personal note said, keep doing what Im doing.

EddieS'04 said:
My lab results were very good. Blackstones' Lab Techs' personal note said, keep doing what Im doing.

:supercool:

Used oil analysis is the only way to know for sure. Anything else is just speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question on oil change. I don't drive much. I have less than 50000 miles on a 2004 ST. Do I still change my oil every 3000 mile or do I go by the every 3 months rule. I may only drive 1500 mile in 3 months. :driving:

I have a question on oil change. I don't drive much. I have less than 50000 miles on a 2004 ST. Do I still change my oil every 3000 mile or do I go by the every 3 months rule. I may only drive 1500 mile in 3 months.

I would change it every 6 months. That will be fine. No point in spending the money on synthetic. Use Motorcraft, regular Pennzoil, or regular Havoline. Those three will show as good on a used oil analysis for 5000 miles or less as synthetic.

or regular Havoline

Johnny,

I used havoline years ago. I havent since I read an article about it over 20yrs ago. If I remember the comparision Havoline came in almost last. Comparison was all Dino. This was back before syn and syn blend became popular. The article might have been slanted. I think it was in PM or CR, mag. I switched to valvoline dino, then valvoline syn-blend. It was cheap then.

Have you actually ran UAO's on havoline dino?

My dad stuck with penzoil dino forever. He never ran any reports. But his motors always lasted forever. He drove alot and took 3000mile vacations every year.

I talked him into switching to motorcraft syn-blend, when he got the grand marquis with the 4.6L. It has over 100k and purrs like a kitten. Mom Is alone now. I think I will take a sample next change for my curriosity.

Im on my second change of castrol full syn, in my trac. As I said above, first Lab report was good. If the next one is good. I will probably stick with it.

If you motor is tuned and not blowing unburnt gas into the crankcase 7500/10000 even more is ok if your using syn. Its very rare for anyone to have worn engine issues anymore. With minimal care the engine will outlast the rest of the truck or if your like most people you will trade before any engine issues from wear can be seen.

Have you actually ran UAO's on havoline dino?

Not personally, it's not real common around here any more, but there is a website called BobIsTheOilGuy.com where people post their UOA's and Havoline has always showed up very good for a dino oil. The top dino oils based on most peoples' opinions there are Pennzoil, Havoline, and Chevron, which is apparently the same oil as Havoline.

Latest posts