Engine Oil Choice Documentation - An interesting article

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<A HREF="http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.html">Engine Oil Article</A>

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting read, but I disagree with the author regarding his belief that synthetic oil should not be used in a new engine. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my Toyota at 1500 miles... now have 31,000 miles and the engine runs perfectly. Doesn't use a drop of oil between 5,000 mile changes.

this article was probably written years ago, where yes, you didn't want to do the synthetic in a new engine. that is not the case anymore. automakers use synthetics right from the factory now. engines are built so well right off the bat, that there is not much to break in and seat, save for the piston rings. i would not call the author of this article a credible expert or source on this subject, merely his educated opinion. seek out scientific studies independent from automakers and oil companies. of course, this is just my educated opinion, too...:blink:

It is an old article. I remember reading it several years ago. For the most part it seems good advice.

I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my Toyota at 1500 miles... now have 31,000 miles and the engine runs perfectly. Doesn't use a drop of oil between 5,000 mile changes.

I can say the same about my ST after running plain old Dyno oil for 38,000. Neverless, I recently switched to Royal Purple synthetic, but only because I got such a good deal on it and want to lengthen the time between changes.

I disagree completely. He is continuing to perpetuate old myths about motor oils.

The old myth that friction reduction additives of synthetic oils do not allow a new engine to properly break-in has been debunked about 10-15 years ago. Break-in is just wear and if your reduce wear you extend the life of your engine. It might take a little longer for your rings to seat and that might reduce your MPG, but you are still getting many more usefull miles out of your engine.

As for mixing brands. That is also been debunked. If you buy an API rated oil (which the auto manufacturers require) you are getting an oil that meets the requirements of that engine and the standards for that API oil classification are set to insure compatiblility with all other oils meeting that API specification.

I think the only thing he said that was true is that you need to change your oil often!

...Rich

Old article but decent general advice. There is another piece floating around the Internet called "The Motor Oil Bible" but what they don't tell you is that it was written by the people at Amsoil.

Latest posts