Engine Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Michel

Reaction score
Hello and Happy Holidays,

My Trac is sick, may need a motor. She started to miss, stalled, smelled anti-freeze. This happened in less than 2 minutes. I suspect I blew head gasket at the least. Its at the dealer wiating for a diagnosis. No I haven't overheated it nor did it give any symptoms of trouble. Its been a very dependable ride.

Its a 01, job 1, 84k on it. Engine code E, 4wd, auto. What do you guys think a reman long block will run? I'm guessing 3K for a reman plus labor. I'm wondering if a salvage motor may be cheaper. Any input on cost and availability?

Thanks! Lar

Could be a cracked intake, or bad intake gasket.....

The job 1 ST's had that issue.... Most of the time it is in the intake side, but any thing is posible...

Todd Z

Just got the call from the dealer, I need a motor. They want $5800 for a long block and labor. so I'll be looking for a salvage motor-any leads?

Thanks, Lar

Not to be negative but considering what time of the year it is dealerships are a bit starved for work, in the last month I have had 2 different vehicles in the shop that the dealership said needed motors, one was a 2005 Kia mini van that just had a few sensors that were unplugged after the dealership did some work to adn the other one was a 2001 Lexus GS that Lexus said needed a motor due to oil consumption, installed a new pcv(the old one was plugged) adn the car hasn't used a drop of oil in 1000+ miles...moral of the story....tow it to another reputable shop(not another dealer) and without telling them anything about your dealership experience(that way you get an unbiased opinion) have them look at it and see what's up, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I agree,

Always get a second opinion, since the dealer is mainly good for complete replacement and not repair...

What did they say was wrong ?? Bad piston, head gasket ??

Todd Z

I also agree totally. I used to work at a dealership and saw first hand more than one motor and/or trans getting replaced that didn't need to be. Get a second opinion.

Thanks for the responses, I'll dig into it when I get the ST to another shop. I've spent some time as a garage mechanic, usually do my own work. I've only had to use a dealer five times in the last 20 years. But I haven't done a lot of internal engine work and don't have time for it now. I'm not sure what happened first, if I had a mechanical failure first and it pumped water into a cylinder second or something let go and the water leak into a cylinder was a secondary failure. It was all over in about a minute-no previous symptoms of an impending failure.

Doesn't matter at this point, the engine is just shy of locked up and is banging metal to metal when it does get turning over. So I'm fairly confident that I need a salvage engine or a reman. I have two independent mechanics that do this type of work on the side. So I'm leaning towards a reman engine (Low milage salvage engines for a job 1 don't look to be easy to find). I think I'll pick up a used car for my daughter a little early-she's getting her lisence fairly soon, and buy some time to find a motor and a mechanic. Dealer wants almost 6K, that isn't happening. Looks like a reman can be bought for about $2500, $300 for misc parts and supplies, $5-600 for part time mechanics. So a little over 3K for a new motor. Bad news but the ST isn't worth anything the way it is. With a new motor I have a warranty and something to sell if I decide to move to something else.

Thanks for the help! Any leads or opinions on reman companies would be greatly appreciated!

Lar

You can always get a job 2 motor and install that, especially if you have the computer from the truck the motor came out of and the wiring harness....

Todd Z