Engine Rattle on Start Up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I changed my oil 2 weeks ago and ever since the change, I've been getting a little rattle during start up. Could it be a bad oil filter? Its sounds like the engine isn't getting enough oil on start up.

I just finished swapping the filter. I'll check it out in the morning. I always buy a spare filter.....

I had a hunch maybe its the filter since it started right after the oil change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorcraft. Hand tightened then 1/4 turn with a oil filter wrench tool cap that attaches to the bottom of the filter teeth.

It is easy to check the back flow valve before you install the filter, Place a a paper towel over the center hole and blow into and then breath in, the air should only flow one way, if it goes both, the back flow valve is bad...

Todd Z

Did it again ever so slightly this morning. Some old ranger boards claim Mobil 1 Syn is a noisy oil. Also, I'll check the cats out tonight. Some others say its the starter.

But what has me pondering is why after the oil change? I'm using Mobil 1 Synthetic.

I had (until recently) the same problem. Was told by the dealer to use Motorcraft Filters and I'm on the 4th one since. This time I put in some DuraLube (just to see if it would help) and haven't heard it lately. It still did it a couple of times after changing the oil and adding the DuraLube, but then quit. May be worth trying. I know what some are thinking, Snakeoil, but it seems to be working for me.;)

I've had a serious rattle on start up for about 2 years. I've used Motorcraft FL 820S filters for 3 years and Amsoil 5W 30 for the same time. Its much worse when cold, and in case you havent heard, it gets cold in North Dakota. I always figured it was because it was -20 outside. I dont see how it could be the filter if I'm using the Motorcraft that you guys convinced me to use years ago!!!