Engine shakes and surges in neutral at 3000 rpm

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napierjohn

Reaction score
This site has been a great resource for me so thanks guys.
I have an engine issue I'm hoping a wrench turner or two around here could help me resolve. My 2004 4.0 4WD with 145,000 miles has a strange engine issue. I don't often rev my engine too high but found recently when I rev the engine in neutral it starts to shake around 2800 rpms and gets into a surging mode at 3000 rpms. Under load, though, the truck drives great, even when I hit it hard. It isn't throwing any codes.

My question is: What is the behavior of the engine when it reaches the 3000 rpm rev limit? Could the surging just be the effect of the rev limiter?

I have ruled out some reasons for surging in neutral and so far I have
- checked for vacuum leaks
- cleaned not to dirty ERG valve
- checked the spark plug wire connections
- used a small scan tool and can see at 2000 rpms in neutral the O2 sensor oscillates in range, short fuel trims hover +/- 2%, and long fuel trims are low, too.
- read fuel pressure at 50 psi though spec is 60-65.

If the rev limiter isn't making the surges, I suspect the fuel pump but don't want to jump to conclusions.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:
John, there is a rev limiter for park and neutral so the young folks don't rev it and then drop into gear. I don't know what RPM it is set to but I remember when I first bought the truck that it would stumble in neutral. Maybe bigger wrenches can offer better advice.
God bless Ed

Yep the rev limiter. Just not good to rev it anyway. At 145kMiles OxSensors are overdue for a change too.