Engine Swap List

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apats77

Reaction score
With my prior thread getting rather messy with a lot of back and forth on my part I wanted to start this one.

My wife and I are making a spreadsheet on doing a swap (4.0 to 4.0) and costs associated with it. Besides the motor itself what things should I be budgeting for on top of the motor?

I already have a brand new Motorcraft Water Pump, Austekk Tstat housing and Cloyes Timing Chain Tensioners that will be transplanted if we decided to do the swap.

With baby number 2 due in February timing really couldn't be worse but this is our backup/winter 2nd vehicle I'd like to at least figure out what im looking at cost wise.

Hoses, Belts, Pulleys, Starter, Harmonic balancer, Exhaust manifolds and studs, Knock sensor, If you go used, Maybe injectors, Complete seal kit, specially rear main, front timing cover seal, Plugs, Wires, All filters, Oil sending unit, Oil adaptor o rings, and any other thing that is buried and a pain in the ass to change.

There really isn't updated anything.... 2007-2008 motors are having timing guide issues now.... Ford crappy planned obsolescence design.

My 2wd '03 broke the rear tensioner at around 180k in 2013. I bought a bunch of Cloyes parts from RockAuto for around $500-600 and it sat for a while until I could find time for the swap. In the mean time, I came across an '03 Ranger 4.0 SOHC that had been pulled from a no title vehicle with 130k on it for $350 that ran when pulled. I found a friend of a friend who I paid $500 to put the new timing parts in the 130k engine and install it into the truck in 2017. It ran for about 1k before breaking in 2018 and I haven't figure out what went. I'd love to go 5.0 sbf but don't want to hassle with repining everything. Even kicked around (what was I thinking) an LS swap with old school gauges. I'm not sure what I want to do at this point. We have a 2wd '08 Mountaineer with 214k that I considered pulling the motor and trans and installing it into the '03 ST, then finding a 4.6 donor vehicle for the '08, or even go Coyote. Then part of me says just haul it to salvage and be done with it.

you have way too much going on there...lol

I'm torn on trying to figure out what went after the 1000 miles on the "new" engine after I spent so much money on it. My son has a '96 Sonoma X-cab that's white with a maroon grille and driver's fender (we got it that way, he's got about $900 it it total). It's got new tires and runs like a top, but the aesthetics are greatly lacking. The '03 ST needs new tires, the Michelin's have great tread, but are very weather cracked and the RR leaks air and ever since I owned the truck it had a chip in the windshield that when seated in the driver's seat, was hidden by the rear view mirror, well, after sitting for 7 years it finally cracked and propagated across the windshield and other than a good detail and wax, it's a great looking truck (Red Fire). The trans has never had any problems, the rear window is sorta sketchy on working, it has an aftermarket auto start and I replaced the T-stat housing with an aluminum one AFTER putting a new Ford one on it and IT failing too, but one of the weird things, it's a 2wd, but it sits higher than most stock 4wd I've parked next to, and there's no blocks in the back, so I don't think it's been lifted, I figured if I got it running it'd make a nicer truck for my son, we could sell the Sonoma and he could use the money to get tires and the windshield fixed.

Latest posts