engine swap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCKC917

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Sport Trac with 185,000 miles on it that i recently gave my 16 year old son as his first vehicle. Transmission is starting to slip and we are considering doing a performance truck build on it as a father/son project before he heads off to the Army after high school. I am assuming that any year 5.0 drivetrain up until 2011 would be an almost direct bolt in. does anyone have any experience with this and if so what are the the things to know about it. Thanks for any knowledge anyone has to share.

Welcome to the forum.

There's an old saying about what happens when you "AssUMe"?
You've got a 2005 ExST = V6~4.0L~SOHC Engine + 5r55e Tranny, not a V8~5.0L; correct?
Swapping in a V8~5.0L & that different Tranny, is definitely NOT "direct bolt in" or "PlugNPlay".
Requires swapping Engine + Tranny + Harness + PCMComputer + InstrumentCluster +... from a donor vehicle;
better off just starting with a 2007~2011 ExST already with the V8 +Tranny.

You likely already know, your V6~4.0L~SOHC Engine + 5r55e Tranny
has several weaknesses\quirks that need specific remedies to make these vehicles last.
May want to reconsider & rebuild this engine+tranny, or swap in new, rebuilt, lower mileage units.
A few guys have SuperCharged this engine, though I can't vouch for that.

May also consider: typical new teenage drivers have their first vehicle wrecked within 6months.

Last edited:
So for clarity I understand that we would need a complete drivetrain swap, trans, ecm etc. From a fitment standpoint is really more my question. What are the challenges in swapping in a V8 in this regards? Exhaust, steering column etc

99-01 5.0 is direct bolt in... nothing else really is as long as you have the donor vehicle..... Then the fun comes in with the wiring, computers, fuel system and other stuff.... your 05 is not close to the Gen 2 07-10 so its all major work after that....

Hi
Not sure which forum it was but awhile back there was a long thread/build write up where they were swapping a 5.0 from an explorer into a 1st gen sport trac - basically parked the two vehicles side by side and swapped everything over - I considered it but was worried about licensing here in California and the project was probably too big for me - at least before I retire....

Hi
Not sure which forum it was but awhile back there was a long thread/build write up where they were swapping a 5.0 from an explorer into a 1st gen sport trac - basically parked the two vehicles side by side and swapped everything over - I considered it but was worried about licensing here in California and the project was probably too big for me - at least before I retire....
Thank you

Thank you
Just did a quick Google search - the write up is in the explorer forum titled 5.0 swap into 01 Sport Trac - a very old thread but there are a lot of other discussions about doing that swap - all involve a donor vehicle - there are also a lot of other discussions about issues with instruments, fuel delivery etc when you are dealing with an 03 to 05 ST - I did not realize how different the later 1st gen STs are from the earlier ones like mine - I would like hearing how you progress if you decide to go that route

Hello friends
I have a very very nice 2002 sport trac 4x4 with the very low power 4.0 v6 and automatic transmission.
I also have a 2007 ford mustang with a v6 4.0 engine. My question is this, simply or not not so simple. Can I replace the eom OHC motor with the regular pushrod 4.0 v6 ?
Can I use the same trans? I’d like to keep the 4x4. If I’m not able to use the OEM trans, what one will work and keep my transfer case? Making new driveshafts is easier for me then most people. I really like the 4.0 mustang engine. It has a ton of power and would like to
Move this over to my Sport Trac. I know that I’ll have to change out or retune the ecu. Once again easer thing for me as I have many friends with the fords factory scanner tools and tuners , and doing anything and everything for all the trucks computers. I feel that going this way will be cheaper and give me a ton more power. And parts are a ton cheaper for the regular 4.0. With just simple Bolton mods, I’ve changed the HP on my mustang from 265hp up to 340hp. It’s crazy what can be done with just using Industry grade rubber sheets to cover the a/c lines, fuel lines and anything that has anything to do with the air going into the intake system. Case in point, I installed one of those (so called ) cold air intake pipes. What a joke. After the install, the air intake temp went up over 80degs. Yes 80degs. This cold air intake system uses a Stainless steel pipe. So what I did was completely cover the pipe with this 1/4” thick rubber sheet and now my intake air is only 10degs warmer then the outside air.
This is how much it helped. My wife’s drive to work every week would use 2.5 tanks of gas. After doing this mod on the cold intake tube and the fuel lines, egr tubes and any other line I could cover, the mustang from week one dropped from 2.5 tanks down to 1.75 tanks, that’s a great improvement, and the power came back, or started to show its head. Lol. I have a friend with a wheel Dino and he did a before and after test. With NO ecu Tunner being used. the from the wheel HP and torque when from 200hp and 195tq up to ( no lies ) 275hp and 265tq at the wheels. So now all of you no sayers lay it on me. I don’t care as I’m used to people talking crap and 99% of them. Don’t have the proof to back up what they say, well I do and I’m not going to play the games about this so let’s please stay on the topic of ( engine swopping )

On my truck I still have all the factory air intake junk, this will change soon as I’ll start coving all the fuel lines and egr tubes and so on. Heck, just covering the high and low side of the a/c lines helped here in the central Florida heat.
I’m a retired/ disabled master tech and even after being out of the business for the last 10 years, I still know a thing or two.
For one, central Florida is the hardest place on earth for A/C systems and anything you can do to help with the efficiency of this system pays off very quickly.
Thanks for any and all help.
Like I’ve teaches my kids these words ( if you don’t have something nice or productive to say, then keep your mouth closed )
Have a great day

Attachments

• BE83682E-337E-415A-98E9-ED01249A9AEC.jpeg
    BE83682E-337E-415A-98E9-ED01249A9AEC.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 0
i have recently tried speed shops and local mechanics to do a conversion on this issue with a 04 and not one could give me a quote to do a swap, so keep me posted on your journey as i am interested in the same.

Latest posts