engine swap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susan Pierce

Reaction score
does anyone know what is invovled in doing a 4.6 engine swap in a 01 trac i know the computer and tranny but has anyone done it and how difficult is it

If you do a search it has been covered before. The 4.6 won't fit without major redesign of the engine compartment and mounts. A few here have done other engines though. If you do a search on "engine swap", there should be a few.;)

There's no projects because it really can't be done without insane amount of work. You're talking all new front end. If you really want a v8 go get an l&l products 302 conversion kit and do that.

dennis and susan,

If you really want a V8, go with the 5.0 (302 V8). That is the only engine that will fit.

Tom

Your best option for a swap is going to be a 5.0 from a 96-01 Explorer. It will be a virtual bolt in swap with minimal wiring changes compared to anything else. Not saying its going to be easy, but probably the easiest. The best way would be to buy a wrecked Explorer with the whole drivetrain and have them sitting side by side so all the little parts are available.

I have a 2000 Explorer with a 5.0 already and I was going to do the swap, as well as swap my 4.0 back into the old Explorer so it could be sold, but had to abandon it as I just don't have the time right now. About the only thing I could think of I'd really have to pay for extra this way is to have my exhaust done, buy a driveshaft for the Explorer ($50 from the JY) and have the ST driveshaft modified to fit since it never came with this drivetrain combo.