engine swap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Ritter

Reaction score
so im pretty sure that in the last two years i have driven the piss out of my truck, and i would hate to think of the condition of my engine, i have been thinking about putting a new 4.0 in it, and i dont know where to find one or for how much, anyone have ideas?

You will be surprised what the 4.0 can with stand.... Just see my videos..LOL

Any way, Do a Blackstone labs oil test, They are good at telling you the metal wear and things like that.....

I would not fix what is not broken..

Todd Z

well i got the truck with around 70,000 miles on the odo, and since then (november 06) i have put just shy of 40,000 more on the engine, and they have been really hard miles, i agree with the aint broke dont fix it way of doing things, but i have a feeling if i dont start doing something, im going to have something major to fix...

My 04 has 90K miles on it, Many members here have over 200K and a lot past 150K....

Your call...

A new engine can be only purchased from Ford, a dealer or sponsor...

Other places would be a rebuilt engine or a used low mile one from a junk yard..

Todd Z

bought my '02 last year with 150k one owner miles. it must have been serviced well, as the truck doesn't have a fluid leak anywhere, uses no oil, and everything works on the truck.

i wouldn't even think of replacing an engine with only 110k miles.

dutch

I don't get it, why not wait until the engine actually blows. If you're going to replace anyhow. I'm also with Todd, I regularly run my rpms to the 5-6k range and sometimes beyond that. Our 4.0's are fairly solid. Change your oil and I'm sure you'll be fine.

That being said, check you local salvage yard, you can find some pretty good deals.

might want to look for a spare tranny if regular service hasn't been done, as the tranny seems to be a weak link and causes problems, you did change the tranny fluid right?? Lots of 2-3 flare issues noted on this board, search for it

Drive it till it dies. Don't be afraid. I have been easier on my Trac in the last few days, but she is at 95,000 miles and runs great.

Unless the engine is showing signs of failure, I would leave it be. Engine knocking, rattle, hard start, loss of power, or any other abnormalities would be somthing to consider.

Buying a new engine will cost THOUSANDS of dollars. For that cost, get yourself a yard engine and rebuild it. It is not hard.

If I can rebuild an engine, you can too.

Tom

Caymen, have to disagree about a rebuild on the 4.0. Special tools are required for the timing and valve srping removal and they aren't the type you can rent at pep boys. Depending on your skills, the 4.0 isn't the best rebuild for a first timer, IMO. If your gonna do it, do some research first. The head bolts alone can be a nightmare and I speak from experience.

Special tools are required for the timing and valve srping removal and they aren't the type you can rent at pep boys.

I am not saying it is the same as building a Small Block Chevy, but for crying out loud, a crate from the dealer will cost more than a full rebuild including buying all the "Specialty tools".

If you have the skill to build an engine, you should have the skill to rebuild the 4.0. If a human built it, another human can rebuild it.

Tom

engine replacement at 110K? Are you crazy?

I have a 4.6 16V in a 94 t-bird that I absolutely beat the piss out of. Sure, things broke on it, but they were minor. Engine still runs like a champ. I replaced it at 125K to go with a 32V.

You don't really want to spend ~$2000 not including any sort of labor costs and screwings a shop will charge you (for all that other old and supposedly broken crap), do you? A motor, labor, and other odds/ends...you're looking at about $2500-3000. Is it really worth it?

Wait 'til you blow something.