erm...ticking...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray moyer

Reaction score
blah i think i hear some ticking from the center of the motor... like maybe a lifter is not right... anyone else ever hear any kind of low ticking under the hood???

Grab a broomstick or equivelent, hold one end to your ear and place the other on various places around (a/c, p/s, valve cover, etc...) where you think the ticking is emitting from. You'll definately find where it is by doing that.

If it's actually the engine, I'd suggest changing the oil. If that doesn't clear the "ticking", try the SeaFoam project.

Good luck...

If it does it from about 2400rpm to 3000rpm the timing chain guides are worn. Notorius on these motors. There are 2 timing chains for the overhead cams. One in the front and one in the back.

eh... im using 5w30 RP and i just put it in a few weeks ago...

prob the chain... woot...:wacko:

glad i got that extended warranty

There are 2 timing chains for the overhead cams.

Actually, from my research, there can be up to 4. On from the crank to the center shaft, and one for the left bank and one for the right bank. If you have a 4x4 engine, there is another one for the balance shaft.

Tom