Evaporative System not ready?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to have my emissions checked before I can get my tag. From previous experience, I know that the program from my XCal will not pass emissions. In the past I have had to return the programming to the stock program, disconnect the battery to reset the computer, and then drive around a while to let all the system monitors reset. I have a OBDII code reader which lets me know if there are any codes as well as if the systems are "ready" to be read. I reset the programming last week, with the intention of getting my emissions checked later in the week. As of Friday, my code reader was still showing that the "Evaporative System" (and another, I don't recall) was still not ready. Not a big deal, as due to having a company car, I hadn't put many miles on it through the week. On Friday, we left on an out-of town driving trip. After driving almost a couple of hundred miles, the Evaporative System was still showing not ready (the other was now ready). Hmm.... a little concern. I disconnected the battery while out of town, hoping that maybe there was some "fluke". Drove the ride home, and once again all systems - EXCEPT the Evap System - are showing ready. There are no error codes showing, not even any pending codes, it's just not "ready". Any suggestions as to a fix? Technically, my tag is due today (nothing like waiting for the last minute, huh?) so I need to get this resolved as quickly (and of course, as cheaply) as possible. Thanks for any help...

I think it may be the reader....

When I used to flash back to stock, I was able to get the inspection/emissions testing the same day.....

Todd Z

When you read my truck with the same scanner, I think it told me my EVAP system wasn't ready either. I went on a small road trip, just down the highway about 30 miles and back, then went and got tested, and passed fine. Ironic twist, I live less the 3 miles from the testing place, and my CEL came on on the way home.

I guess it could be the reader... I didn't consider that. I went to an emissions check place and spoke with the clerk there. he told me that the state (Georgia) will allow one set of sensors to be "not ready", but if any more than that aren't ready, it will fail. And of course, if there are any failing codes present, it won't pass. But I since I had no codes and only the one system wasn't ready, I was still able to pass the check. So now I'm on my way to pay $$$ for tags on the Trac and my bike...