Exhaust Cut-Out

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has any one installed an exhaust cut-out on their ST? I am looking to install one, but don't know if any are made specifically for the ST or if i will have to custom fab one.

Thanks

I think he's referring to an electric or cable operated cut-out that gets installed before the muffler. It allows you to have an "open" exhaust at will. I don't know of anyone with one installed, and our trucks don't sound that great with no muffler anyway. Also, the cutouts are universal and just need to be welded inline with the tubing.

Dan,

What ST's have you heard without a muffler? I would have to disagree with you, and I'm sure plenty of people who've heard my truck would disagree also.

I used to have a Quicktime Performance electric cutout, but after about a year the solenoid burned up. I just used a block off plate and took it off when I wanted. I now have straight pipes dumping out the side, no muffler, and I've had guys with Mustangs and Lightnings call me a liar when I told them it was a V6.

"Back in the day" there was a company called Lake. They made the famous Lake Pipes (in the song Little Deuce Coupeby the Beach Boys, they sing, "...and she purrs like a kitten 'til the Lake Pipes roar...") which had a cable operated bypass that directed the exhaust straight out, or through the muffler. They actually offered it as an option in the 60's or 70's on the Pontiac GTO. It was a sheathed metal cable that operated the bypass.

I heard mine for about 20 miles when I took it to have my exhaust done. RT y-pipe, then cut off after the flange before the first main cat. Obviously due to the location of the "dump" it was extremely loud inside, but I didn't care for the sound either. It's all personal opinion though...

I've currently got it run Lightning style using a 2.5" Magnaflow with no cats. At idle it sounds good and is fairly quiet, but its obnoxious when accelerating and driving around. I'm going to have it modified with a single hi-flo cat, the muffler moved back further and exit out the rear bumper cladding just above the stock location.

The only time open exhaust sounds good is. On a V8 motor and long tube headers, with collector tubes or race mufflers on the headers. That also gets anoying after awhile.

Latest posts