Exhaust Leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Had to change the exhaust flange gasket between the downpipe (Y-pipe) and intermediate pipe. Only took about an hour and a half. Craziest part was that none of the local auto parts stores stocked the gasket or the bolts and springs so I had to order the parts from Autozone and have them delivered to the house. The gasket is Walker p/n 31658 and the bolt/spring kit is Walker p/n 36129. If you do this repair I highly recommend getting new bolts and springs as the first one I tried to remove snapped off. You will also need a pry bar to hold the pipes apart while sliding the new gasket into place. I placed the pry bar in the rubber hanger closest to the joint. The old gasket had completely disintegrated at 143k miles.

I had luck sometimes by heating the bolts until they were glowing red and they'd come off that way. Other times, I'd just cut them off.

The last time I had to replace my exhaust, the ears of the flange for the bolts were basically rusted down to very little meat to hold anymore so I found a two-piece bolt-on flange that Walker sells also. Ground down what was left of the others and the two-piece flange put me back in business.