exhaust mod video, opinions please...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Harrer

Reaction score
i would really like some opinions if any one would think putting on a flowmaster 40 and removing the silencer would sound better than what it sounds now, not necesarily louder just better...

this is just no muffler with silencer, sorry about the shaky camera man :eek:

<A HREF="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aITLp5r1-BM">no muff youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
yea, all cats. all i had them do was remove the muffler and replace with straight pipe. he let me try it out for the weekend, cause i was undecided if i wanted it this way or with the flowmaster and no silencer.

kept this way = $80

add flowmaster 40 and remove silencer = $150

decisions decisions :unsure:

that is kinda what i was not sure about. if the flowmaster will for sure give me deeper tone i would definately go that route....

Yeah, I know what you mean. So you have the straight pipes on right now right? Maybe you could go back to the shop and try clamping on a Flowmaster and then get a good comparison that way. Otherwise I would think it would be kinda hard to get an actual comparison to see which you like better.

I just listened to Kirk Pearsons clip, which is the closest to your setup, using the FM. IMO for the additional $70 I don't think you going to notice much difference if any. Doesn't seem like it's any more obnoxious than any of the other setups I've heard with a muffler. If you plan to change more components (y-pipe/cat/headers) then you may want to consider getting a muffler, FM or otherwise.

On a side note, $150 seems kinda steep for muffler replacement. Or are you replacing the exhaust pipes as well?

I think a muffler would give you a lower tone.... Since you have the revlimiter it is hard to tell what it will sound like in a high rev out..

Some good sounds..

<a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/10452/Flowmaster%20Dual%20Exhaust/Highflowcat%20014.wmv">Todds ST no high flow cat</a>

<a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/10452/Flowmaster%20Dual%20Exhaust/Highflowcat%20014.wmv">Todds ST with high flow cat</a>

is 150 steep for a flowmaster and istallation? i dont know, after driving it this way for a while i would almost want it a little quieter. so the FM 40 would give me deeper tone, would it bring the noise level down any inside the cab? should i have the silencer removed if i put it on?

the 150 includes the muffler if i decide to purchase it, plus installation.

is that a bad price? i have not priced exhaust work before..

Last edited by a moderator:
IF you think it is a little loud, Keep the resonator on....you can take it off later..

I have seen the Flowmaster 40 for about $60.00 shipped for sale, So they want $90.00 for the install...

ASK them if you got the muffler what the price would be.... It can be done cheaper..

Todd Z

If I bring in my own parts. The shop I use charges me $10 per weld. $20 if a piece of splicing in pipe is needed.