Exhaust Problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ark Hoot

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I have a 2003 4x4 xlt Sport Trac. A few weeks ago my trac started making a terrible noise. I drove to my mechanis expecting the worse. It also threw a code (check engine light). I was sure it was a timing chain problem. We said, "good news and bad news". No timing chain problem, but your pre cats are killed/ Turned out they released some of their guts into the converging area of the y-pipe, and the debris were rattling. He advised me to do nothing if I could stand the noise and the dummy light.

The noise quit after a few days.

YeasterdayI went on a 240 mile round trip on the return part of the trip, the trac stared loseing power, and eventually got to the point that it would only go 20 miles an hour. I had it towed home. Early this morning I started checking availability of replacement exhause stytems and prices.

I decided to remove the section with the two large cat. converters (not the y-pipe). When I inspected the section, it was packed full of the junk that came out of the pre-cats. The junk was stopped from entering the cat convertors by a stainless stell, tight grid screen. Probably 1/16 grid or so. It was completely blocked with ceramic debris, stainless steel looking wool, etc. Probably two large handfulls. It had the screen at least 95% blocked. I cleaned it out and shop vaccumed it well and reinstalled.

I reset the code and now the trac has the power it had when it was new. Praise God. I drove it all day today, including pulling a lightly loaded lowboy trailer. No codes and tons of power.

Here is my question. Has anyone experienced this?

If I were to but=y an aftermarket exhaust, will it throw a code? Is there a solution if so?

What are some recomendations from other sport track folks?

Blessings,

Tracker

You can replace your precat y-pipe with the one from our sponser "Zabteck". It wont throw a code. The front O2 sensors are in front of the precats. Most likley only one of the precats shatered. That means one bank is flowing more free. I have the RT Y-pipe fom Zabteck. No codes and also passed emmisions check last month.

Last edited by a moderator:
hooter,

Paul H had his precats crumble on him....

SO we installed the Y-pipe and high flow cat on his 01...

The y-pipe and Cat will work on your truck without throwing a code.

ONLY thing is the requirements of the state you live in. IF they require Pre cats for inspection, you can not install the y-pipe..

Unless you know a place that will inspect it..

Todd Z