Exhaust Question Todd Z

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After lifting my ST I noticed I need some deep nice sound to my exhaust. I dont want anything annoying though. My grandpa has a ST and his dual exhaust is so loud you cant have a conversation as you drive down the street. I want it to sound like a Mustang 5.0 if possible. I read something about a Y-pipe and High Flow Cat by randomtech. Stupid question but is that all I need or is there some kind of exhaust I need to put on the end ex. Flowmaster, Magna-Flow to achieve my sound? Do I need to do anything with the air-intake? Any gaskets needed? If you could tell me everything I need, that would be great. Thank you!!

First NOTHING will make the ST sound like a stang 5.0... IT can get close..

But if your dads st is too loud for you, then you may be limited to what you can do....

The y-pipe helps lower the tone and so does the cat, But the muffler and tail pipes and size will play the major part...

An intake always helps, if you get the air out, you should get it in for more power and MPG.

Make a choice on what you would like to change and how muck $$$ you are willing to spend and I then can more accurately help you out..

Todd Z

You can't have the sound outside, without generating some sound inside the vehicle. A Flowmaster 50 SUV series will help with the performance without being excessively loud inside the cabin.

If you do as Big D says you won't have to much noise the cab. I have done the same (flowmaster 40) and the only time it becomes overly noticeable is at 2,500rpms ~ 25mph going up hill or towing. Other than that it is pretty calm in the cab... outside though... it makes the neighbors unhappy! :)

Like sporttrackid I am going to be putting dual exhaust on my 03 sport trac. I always see people doing the cat back with mufflers having one in and two out configuration. can you do a true dual exhaust? what do headers do to the performance, are they a plus or a minus? Don't want to go crazy but will spend money on things that help performance and MPG. I am thinking Cold air intake - Yes; chip - yes; Headers - ???; dual exhaust - ??? what will be my best system ??? over the span of a few paycheck money will not be a problem. Truck at this point is stock with 112,000

Str8upinfl

2003 sport-trac