Exhaust Questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

I justhad an exhaust shop install a flowmaster 50series SUV muffler on my 2009 STA

they removed the front muffler and installed the flow master there and left the second muffler behind the flowmaster

the truck sounds nice but still pretty quiet

my question is if I have them remove the second muffler and replace it with pipe

how much louder will the truck get?

Considerably louder. A few guys with the STA / the V8 have posted their exhaust videos running just the flowmaster. They sound great! I had a DB series Corsa muffler isntalled. Sounds just as good, but a little more of a mellow tone, at highway speeds at least. Remove it, you wont regret it!

That is a resonator NOT a muffler....

IT is what is keeping the truck quiet on you...

Todd Z

I second what Todd said.

You will get little to no sound difference without removing or replacing the resonator.

I have the same setup that psycareyo has (or at least used to have) with the resonator removed and the Magnaflow. To give you an idea, see my library, "Magnaflow" folder.

I believe Adrian Drenalin has a very similar Magnaflow setup + a smaller Magnaflow muffler in place of the resonator. He seems very pleased with the level of sound he achieved. You may be able to get a sound clip from him.

Regarding Flowmaster, Ice Man has the 50 series and has a clip on youtube (see link below)

Hope this helps some and good luck

Here you go, I think I found Adrian Drenalin's youtube video.

Note the title of the video ". . . mufflers" (plural)

4month old? Pfffft! I had mine about 3 weeks before hacking off the resonator and OEM muffler and going with the Magnaflow muffler. It sounds PUUURRFECT! Exactly what I was looking for. If you have a Best Muffler Shop in your area I highly recommend them. I got the new muffler installed and a Roush-esq chrome tip for only $150. Smokin deal if you ask me. The sound now matches the STA V-8 looks and performance.

My exhaust VIDEO is on my cardomain site in my sig below?

Flowmaster 50series muffler no resonator.....sounded great!

Since teh video I have added hi-flow cat's and that is much louder!

Last edited by a moderator:
My cardomain also has a sound clip of my STA with resonator delete and Magnaflow muffler. You will probably need to turn your speakers way up because the camera I used was encased in weatherproof plastic.

IceMan you need to fix your cardomain page. It says you have a Magnaflow lol.

They have the cats, then resonator, then muffler, then exit pipe and tip.

The resonator itself is the unit that muffles 90% of the sound in the 08-10 V8 ST-STA units.

I originally removed my muffler and put the Magnaflow in its place. There was less than a 5% difference in tone. I then went to Midas and had them remove the resonator and build a custom intermediate pipe to replace it. This made a 95% change. Night and day difference. Later I added an exhaust dump and a DMH electric cutout. I loved it. If I could do it all over again, I would just leave all the OEM exhaust on and then add a cutout. Sound on demand! The e-cutouts do burn up after awhile but they are super fun to play with. Nothing sounds as badass.