Exhaust tip for '04 SportTrac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eli Sidwell

Reaction score
Can someone recommend an Exhaust-tip for an '04 SportTrac ?

Something that would give it a little deeper and richer sound.

Thanks

not sure if the tip will change your sound but i have a gibson cat back, but tip went bad and amazon had a black tip and

DC Sports EX-1011B​

its worked fine for three years now, only 14. bucks

An exhaust tip without a performance muffler, wont make a difference.
A a non-resonated wide mouth tip with a performance muffler, can make some difference.

I looked through all of the tips on the DC Sports Amazon page, See the specs on the tip that you purchased and the others.
Would it be better to purchase the next size up ? Would have been nice is they provided a chart so that you don't have search through the details on every sub-page, so I kinda made my own. The numbers don't seem to follow a pattern, so I question if they are correct ?!

Would the Ex-1011 or Ex-1014 be better options with the wider inlet, or do you want the inlet to fit tight as practicable ?

DC Sports EX-1011B -> Fits 1.75" To 2.5" Pipes. Outlet Diameter : 3.75" $14.00
DC Sports EX-1011 -> Fits 2.88 in to 2.10 in. in diameter 3.75 in. outlet $20.47
DC Sports EX-1014 -> Fits 2.88 in to 2.10 in. in diameter 4 in. outlet $31.08

DC Sports EX-1013 -> Fits 1.75 - 2.5 inch Piping 3.875 in outlet OD $22.39
DC Sports EX-1010 -> Fits 1.75 - 2.5 inch Outlet: 3.75 inch $25.17

DC Sports EX-1012B -> Fits: 1.5 inch - 2 inch 3-3/4 in outlet $21.99

DC Sports EX-2012 -> Fits: 1.5" - 2" in $25.32

Thanks

i have a 3 inch exhaust, so i ordered the one for it, it works and was cheap, gibson was 70 and going to redo my exhaust so decided the cheaper route for now, it has been few years and it still is holding up. but if you are trying to get power ya need cat back or as eddies post a performance muffler, power is barely noticeable but sounds way deeper.

i have a 3 inch so i ordered a 3 inch, if i remembered it was a 3 to 31/2 but sorry i can see the confusion, my gibson exhaust i got back in 2004 and i think the moisture and vibration took its toll and that is why i got just the tip, but again for the price i did not expect it to last this long.

This tip what I have. I had my magnaflow cat back tail pipe turned to the rear. The angle was perfect to come from under the bumper. The oval shape made a deep sound vs the smaller round that came out behind the rear tire. I suppose you could mod tailpipe and use it behind the tire. Mine is non resonated and sold by Jones exhaust. They can be found in black, and a muffler shop can expand it to 2.5" for weld on.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-prs600ss
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-prtu500ss

Last edited:
My tailpipe currently comes out behind the rear tire, I was just going to buy this and bolt it on as a least invasive way to dress the tailpipe and add a little throaty sound to the truck. My question is: how far can the tailpipe stick out until its too far ? Do I need to cut the pipe back a little ?
Thanks

Do I need to cut the pipe back a little ?
Eli, When I install a tip. I prefer to cut or mod the tail pipe, as so the connection or weld is hidden.
You never did say if you have OEM exhaust or a performance muffler.??
With the stock muffler and the resonator. A new tip will not change the exhaust tone...At all

Its an '04 ST w/Stock system, No modifications.
Only a little rust on the step rails.
What modification(s) to I need to have to give a little better sound ?

Thanks

Decide how much rumble you want. Choose that style performance muffler. Have a muffler shop cut your muffler out and the resonator. If you shop for the muffler yourself you might save $$ over the shops price. Most shops charge $10 to $20 per weld. So that is a consideration, if the shop sells the same muffler. They never charged me installation fee, if I purchased from them. You might still want a nice tip. Many good shops have an assortment for about the online price.
There also are complete cat-back kits. Some are cheap some are not. The most $$ are usually all stainless steel. I have the magnaflow cat back kit. It wass about $300, 10 yrs ago.
I know if you are not familiar with all this. the choice can be confusing.
I used to have a sound file of mine. I will check if I still do, and post it.

Reminiscent of an earlier time. When I was a young man, we put echo tips on our exhaust pipes to give them a low rumbling sound. They were so simple to make or cheap to buy. It was a round pipe that was a little larger than the exhaust pipe. A 2 1/4" exhaust would get a 3 1/4" echo tip. Practically any round metal pipe that is larger in diameter than the existing exhaust will work, and a good coat of black paint would look good on any of them. Cut slits in the inside end, and bend the fingers to fit snuggly around the existing exhaust pipe. Add a radiator clamp to hold it in place and you have a sweet melodious sound similar to a Harley. Because it is after the exhaust, I don't think it would effect the performance any way.

So you need to be sure the tip that you are purchasing and installing is listed as a "Resonated" tip.

The "DC Sports EX-1011" is listed as a "resonated" exhaust tip.

Thanks

I think you want is reverberation, not resonation. To me, resonation is dampening of the sound. What you want is amplifying of the sound. And, I was talking more about making one than buying one. But, for what it is worth, the Walmart.com sells a 3.5" Chrome echo tip for about $55. Don't know anything about it, but it looks nice.

resonated tips are to make it quieter. Same as most cars and trucks come with large mufflers and resonator mufflers. Environmentalist are also going after motor sounds.
Some states are passing laws on motorcycle motors DB. Especially Harley's and HI-PO motorcycles. They are actually making the manufacturers. To not only making the exhaust quiet, but the mechanical sounds of the motor.
Sorry I got onto a tare.
For more sound, no resonators.
I'm confused are you wanting more rumble or looks??????????????????

I just doublechecked the Walmart site and the inlet on their echo tip is too small, only 2", so it would not work. To me, it would be more for the sound, and not louder, just different. Someday, I may experiment with different tips and see if I like anything.