expedition/sparkplugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B 3

Reaction score
A friend called to see about getting the spark plugs changed on a 99 expedition. he has been quoted 500.00 by two different places. Is this even close to being right?

I don't have an expedition but from that price I'm assuming half the truck needs to come apart to get to the plugs.. Thats very high...

I worked w/ a person that had a Chev. Lumina like i had at the time (work car) and that had a quote on changing the plugs and it was like $300 or so. And they asked me about it and I told them that was crazy. They wanted that cause the ones against the firewall was so tight you couldnt get any ratchet in there hardly. But all I had to do was take off the two motor mounts that mount near the radiator (that just stabilize the motor). And w/ the vehicle in park winch the car forward or backward i dont remember which way and the motor would rotate or tilt enough for you to do the back ones easily. But on the expedition the motor should be in there straight so no tilting to it. But there must be some trick to getting to them if they are not easily accessable.

4.6 or 5.4? I had a 97 Expedition with the 4.6 V8 and changed my own plugs. Yes it was a pain in the ass, but I didn't have to take anything apart to get to them. Took me a couple of hours. I'm no mechanic by any means. $500 seems way to high. It should not take a qualified mechanic more than an hour. At least for the 4.6. Don't know about the 5.4.

Not everyone is or has the ability to do stuff them selves... Sheesh.......

Yes that price for just plugs is high.....

Todd Z

problem is the back plugs are under the firewall on the 5.4.

labor time to remove the plugs on the 5.4 according to alldata is 3.0hr and the 4.6 is 1.5hr. depending on the shops labor rate 500 is very high. hope this helps. I am a service writer at carmax and we use Mitchell lbor guide and i think it is 2.6hr for the 5.4.

At least, don't change before 100K......!!

Don't know first hand, but I have heard rumors that some folks following the 100k tune up guidance have had issues removing plugs. Me, I pull 'em out and change 'em at about 50 to be safe.