Extended range fuel tank?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Ponder

Reaction score
Well, I have finally accepted the fact that my ST will never get 30+ MPG, unless it were continually rolling downhill, :D, (kidding of cours, I always knew better) so.. Has anyone found a company that makes an extended range fuel tank? The 01 ST holds 20.5 gallons, I would really like to be able to run 500 hiway miles without stopping for gas. the 2007 up models have 22 gallon tanks I think, would they fit on an 01?. It would be ideal if I could get a 26-30 gallon tank for my ST that will fit in the stock area. Never hurts to ask..

thanks,

Dave

Dave, even if the 07 tank fit, ( which by the way the 2002 and up have a 22.5) the extra 2 gallons are not going to get you that much range.

Don't know the laws in your state, but you could get a plastic racing fuel cell, mount it in the bed of the truck and transfer the fuel to the st tank.

Now the fuel system is pressurized and this would require some special fittings and things, So i would say just carry the tank with a tiny 12 volt pump to transfer the gas on the road.

Todd Z

The 2002 Job 2 to 2005 Trac's have a 22.5 gallon tank. You could upgrade your 2001 to a larger tank.

You would only gain about 40 miles to the tank on the highway, but if you can get 370 miles to a tank, this would get you over 400 miles.

Tom

You could look into getting a tank made that would fit in the bed. I have see a bunch of trucks around town that have these. As far as I know they are just a box made out of sheet metal with a special rubber bladder inside it hooked up to a 12V pump. If you give up the storage space and hand over some money it might happen for you.