Extended Travel CV Axle Half Shafts

Help Support SportTrac.org:

Fire

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
I posted this in the Explorer forum, but thought there might be Sport Trac guys like me that like to offroad.

I was checking into Trakmotive and their extended travel CV axles they now offer. They don't list them for front SLA IFS Ford Ranger/Explorer/Sport Trac, but I got word from their sales rep that they are working on it for this year. Coverage would be 00-10 Ranger, which would also fit the 01-05 Sport Trac, and maybe some 95-01 Explorers. Here is their flyer:

03/2020: New Extended CV Axles Designed Specifically for Lifted Vehicles | TrakMotive

Sounds like great news, as I tend to get some binding or clunk when I am on the trail and maxing out the stock CV axle travel.

Fordtruckfan89

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
This is great. Especially considering how they seem to be the only real downfall to a torsion twist.

Fire

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
That'd make sense too, and honestly more practical. Work on rangers, 2nd gen explorers
So a diff drop bracket to go along with a suspension A-arm lift, right? But they come with diff drop brackets.
Can't do it alone can you? Gotta drop the lower A-arm as well or the CV shaft coming out of the dropped diff wont clear. Unless I'm missing something, which is likely.

Fordtruckfan89

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Depends on how much the diff is dropped, to an extent it'd work. It'd be to reduce the CV axle angle only

Fire

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Update on the extended travel and angle cv axles --

I just checked their website this evening out of idle curiosity and bam! Trakmotive has added P/Ns for Ranger/Explorer/Sport Trac on their updated product flyer!

Product Info

I haven't found the P/Ns listed at any retailers yet, but I emailed Trakmotive for more info on how to order them. I'll update as soon as I hear.

As some have known for years, when the front is jacked up and the stock suspension is at full droop, one or both cv axles will bind when you try to spin the wheels. And then having the steering turned makes it worse.

I was doing some wheeling/crawling this last weekend and worrying about my CV axles binding and maybe breaking with the jeep trails I was on. The clunking they do sometimes with just the right combination of suspension travel and steering angle is pretty loud. I read somewhere about having the sway bar attached can help, so I've been trying that as an insurance policy.

Heck I've swapped out the DS CV axle between an OEM unit and cheap replacement, and they behaved the same. It's just kinda sad that we only have 5" of front travel to start with, and then actually less because of binding before it gets to full travel.

So my dream is that I can get full droop and steering turn, and maybe shave the bump stop some for more compression.

Fordtruckfan89

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Good to know. I believe the precision brand from oreillys is reboxed trakmotive. Hoping they will stock these too or have them available.

Fire

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Got a email back from Trakmotive:

Thanks for your interest in our XTT axles. Those particular axles aren’t available quite yet. I would say within the next month or so. When they are released but your local auto parts store should be able to order the axles from their nearest distributor. TrakMotive products are also available online through e-tailers.