Extended Warranty on 08 ST @ 22K

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ

Reaction score
Hey all - Thought I'd just get yalls thoughts on this even though I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger online for an extended service plan from Ford @ $1700 (7yrs/60K).

Got a 2008 XLT 4x4 ST that I bought new in 5/08 and shipped home here to Hawaii from the Mainland, it's somewhat low miles, currently at 22,300miles and the 3yr original warranty expires in 5 days. Thinking of getting the premium extended plan at 7 years - to expire May 2015 - or 60,000mi. With work/church/beach commute, I estimate annual mileage at ~5K/year here on island, so unlike most on the Mainland the time will expire before the mileage (60K).

The other factor is I'm not sure if I'll be keeping the truck, so other than having peace of mind for another 4 yrs, I'm thinking the transferrable warranty would be a good selling point when time comes to put it on the market.

Part of me also thinks since I won't be driving it as much as on the Mainland, I'll be driving low annual miles if I were to keep it long-term. Or, if I put the truck on the market it'll already have relative low miles, and also I'm thinking it'll be a more desirable vehicle since it's now out of production. So this side of me is saying 'no' to the extended warranty, in addition to saying 'warranties are a waste of $ don't do it.'

At any rate, thoughts?

Mahalo!

- RJ

Your drive train is already factory warrantied, for 6yr-60kmiles.

$1700 is alot to for the small stuff.

Based on everything you've said the only thing you will be doing is routine maintenance. I wouldn't spend the money.

The main pricey thing that will probably break within 100k is the transmission. You will not put enough miles on to worry about it.

I bought an extended warranty on mine for $1900 but I figured that's less than a new tranny. Also the bank kind of insisted before they'd give me a loan. Apparently with cars being more expensive to fix, some people just quit paying when something pricey breaks and letting the back repo it instead of fixing it.

RJ,

DO NOT - REPEAT - DO NOT buy an extended warranty. These are not WARRANTIES! Only Manufacturers can issue true warranties.

What you are looking to purchase is a Service Agreement or Contract. The exclusions of fine print is beyond your comprehension and interprative giving the Service Contract Provider huge gray areas to deny a claim.

They will often honor claims that are less than what you paid because they are still ahead of the game. Those are the stories that you will hear about.

If you have a big ticket item, you better grab your gulliver because you are sure to get the third degree. How do I know? because I did this very same thing and learned the hard way. If you don't have every potential service performed at required intervals and receipts to prove it you're dead in the water. If You have a transmission go bad like I did, they will request a tear down to the point of failure at your cost and then send some local adjuster who WORKS IN CONTRACT FOR THEM. This adjuster checks everything out with a fine tooth comb and if he can justify anything in the way of neglect or normal wear and tear or any other stupid excuse, they can easily deny your claim. Then you know what happens? You're standing there still holding you're gulliver and the Dealer or whoever did the tear down will say "OK, you owe us $800.00 and what would you like us to do now"?

I asked a Ford Service Rep what are the stats of successful claims on high ticket repairs of non-in-house purchased contracts. He said that if you didn't buy it from us when you bought the vehicle it's highly unlikely you'll you'll ever see a high ticket repair approval. It would be like hitting a Jackpot in Vegas. He said if the Dealer sold it to you originally the Service Contract provider would be leveraged by the Dealer to honor a claim. But, remember that Dealers are often selling these 'Extended Warranties' for $,2500.00 (huge markup)

They will wear you down and you're not going to have a chance in hell to sue some 'Extended Warranty' Company in Virginia, Oregon or Hawai. Many will go out of business by the time you can get a claim in. Their MO is to open under a new name, buy out the bankrupt Company (old one) and not honor retroactive claims.

PLEASE DON'T BE A SUCKER AND DO THIS! Pay me half of what you were going to spend for this advise and that will at least have left you with the other half in your pocket to spend on something worthwile or a future repair.

Just kidding about paying me for the advise, but you know what I mean. GOOGLE these so-called 'Warranty Ripoffs' and see for yourself. Also enlighten yourself with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

As stated in my original post, I'd be purchasing my extended warranty directly from Ford (manufacturer), not a 3rd party. Thanks 4 the sermon though. I'll keep all my $ for myself. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
since i financed my car i got the ford premium service plan to cover me since the bumper to bumper will expire before i pay the car off this way i am covered untill the car is paid for

as a member of the automotive industry and a consultant to over 3200 dealers across the nation - I disagree. if you can use your warranty then you will come out money ahead. I scored $18,000 in Jag repairs and I had a Jag CPO warranty. All the service records are the proof. if you are buying this on the if or the what if fear you might have... then keep your dough but if you know that you will push the envelope then get a factory sponsored warranty or service plan that is backed by some A rated company. ask the dealer who pays the best, who nitpix the least, and which one is better for the consumer then ask to pay $100 profit and roll on.

BUY IT!!!!

I have an '07 with 65,000km. I bought the extended warranty and I'm glad I did.

So far it has covered...

- Lower Ball Joint

- Control Arm

- CV Joint

- Rack & Pinion

- All around suspension

I was on the fence also and thought since it's a 4x4 I'm sure it would be pricy if something went wrong... Nothing has gone wrong with the 4x4 but the front end seems to be screwed! I baby my Trac, it has never left the pavement. All these repairs cost me the $200 deductible.

it can pay i had a focus right before i had a trac and i also had the premium plan on it i had to get the egr valve replaced, a spring after it cracked and some tranny work

@Xero2099 - Did ya get an ESP on your Trac as well? If so, PremiumCare, ExtraCare, BaseCare or PowertrainCare?

i got premium care esp since i had had it before on the focus and it covers alot. i mainly got it since i financed the trac and i wanted to make sure that as long as i am making payments i would have some kind of warranty in case something major goes wrong

Latest posts