Extended warranty tranny repair

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score

Well, it has been now more than a week since I took ST to Ford for them to diagnose and repair my truck, knowing I had extended warranty.

Yesterday an adjuster from company handling extended warranty came and review damages and per service assistance manager, everything is on hold until they decide if my repairs are covered or not.

I guess they do enforce what they say, do not alter or add any aftermarket items when under warranty or your warranty will void. I hope they will fix it if not I see myself handling a huge bill and then deciding what I will do.

Jose

I do not know what you altered, but you will only lose coverage of the specific item that you altered. So if you put on special rear springs for example, the drive train is still covered.

Did you alter the tranny? And if so, did you tell them or can you tell by looking at it?

Only thing I did to the tranny was to add a better trany oil pan and a gauge to tell me how hot the tranny was. They say that my rims, I have 20"S on mine, are a factor as well.

Nothing else to the tranny, I do have headers and the upgraded exhaust system.

Jose,

I suspect you are hosed. I'm not a fan of extended warranties as is clear from past posts.

Like an insurance carrier the dealer looks HARD for any reason, any reason whatsoever, to deny an extended warranty claim.

If one is going to go to the trouble to get an extended warranty and keep a vehicle through that period, they are best to not give the dealer any reason to deny a claim.

I suspect you have given them several reasons to deny, and it may require you suing them in small claims court if they deny due to aftermarket parts.

Good luck...I suspect you will need it.

TJR

I can't see them saying (or proving) the rims being the culprit. The pan and guage mounting may be the equalizer. Not sure how they would be able to prove that by putting a better pan (than OEM) and a guage to make sure you aren't overheating the Tranny, is what caused the problem, but they will sure as hell try. Gotta love that BS. We're going through the same thing with Highmark Blue Cross/ Shield. (health ins.) My son has a condition that is going to take him out of state to get treated and my wife "sopposedly" had everything set (after calling the ins. company before we even started and them telling us what we needed to do) but now we have been told that we needed to do something entirely different 3 times already. (after them turning away a bill back to us) Each time it's something different. They have no problem taking your money, but when it's time for them to pay, they will make it impossible to get them to do it. Good luck and hope it works out.;)

What is the over-all size of the tires you have on vs. the tires you had on.

If your not sure, list both of them and I will figure something out..

Problem with all of this is that we think they have to prove it, maybe they do, but if they deny doing the job or paying for it, what's the recourse. Suing? Yeah sure, but the burden of proof is on both parties. How would you prove what you did didn't cause the damage? Simply put, the trac is no longer stock and that will be enough for them to deny warranty work. If your lucky, this won't be the case, but it comes down to how reasonable the warranty guy wants to be. After everything, it will be done at his/her discretion.

I had warranty work denied due to an Apten chip. They proved nothing just said they wouldn't do the job because it was my fault the tranny had a problem. At that point why would you want to force that dealer to do the work.

Coastie, in looking at his pics, my guess is he's running around 30" diameter. Other pics show he had the premium wheels, so I would think he also has the 4.10 gears.

Tires I have now 275 55 20 and I do have the 4.10 diff.

Again, I have not been told that they will not cover, I am in waiting mode, but I am just getting ready for the fight in the event it happens and my repair order is denied.

Thanks you all for your help and assistance.

Jose

Ok, if you had 235 70R 16's then the tire diameter was 29 inches.

If you had 255 70R 16's then the tire diameter was 30.1 inches.

Now that you have 275 55R 20 's the diameter is 31.9 inches.

Sooo, basically your engine and transmission are spinning slower to get the same end result at comparative speeds. This does put additional load on the engine and tranny. Without doing the math I don't know that figure. With a difference of only 1.8 inches I would think that is not enought to creat such a load that the drive line could not handle it.

Is that enough to put to much torque on the drive train.... Not sure, that math is beyond me not knowing what gear ration and things to that nature you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

I just call and my repair was approved, thank you all for your help but I should have my ST tomorrow after road test, etc. so wow!! it feels good.

Jose

I had this same issue with my ST. And my extended warranty was going to expire the next day after I took it to the dealer. They tried pulling the same stuff about sending out an advisor and that it would take a couple days. Well I was supposed to leave for my Moab, Ut trip so I called Ford myself and asked what the deal was. Needless to say they agreed with what I had to say and they called the dealer and told them to fix my tranny, and have it done by when I needed it.

I also have 33" tires on my ST with a liftkit/body lift/ and had the TT/Shackle lift. I also had the XCAL program installed. And I have never been denied my warranty work. I have gone through 4 mass air sensors, and they were all connected to my custom air intake.

The extended warranties from Ford are good, I dont care what anyone says, and I will buy it again for my next vehicle, especially when it costs $$$ sometimes, just to find out what is wrong with the vehicle.

Chad

Coastiejoe

Ok, if you had 235 70R 16's then the tire diameter was 29 inches.

If you had 255 70R 16's then the tire diameter was 30.1 inches.

Not that it matters anymore but Coastie, which Calc did you use. I got 31.1 for the 255's not 30.1.

Just checking.

Last edited by a moderator: