F-150 4x4 not working!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Farr

Reaction score
ok guys/gals, I just bought a 2004 ford F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 5.4V8, dont worry I till got my trac!!,

Ok Here is the problem, the 4X4 isnt working, I replaced the 4x4 relay fuse (#111) and it kept blowing, so I pulled the R01 and R02 relays under the hood and the fuse is good it didnt blow, so would this maybe be a bad relay or what would cause the fuse to keep blowing? i tried posting on an f150 forum but they dont seem to play nice there, you guys/gals are Great! please let me know what you think!

PS: I trun the switch to go into 4x4 but nothing happens, no sound no light no 4wd.

Jeff

You posted on FTE and didn't get help???

If it's popping fuses I doubt it's a relay (1 is CW motor rotation/1 is CCW), more likely the shift motor. I don't know how experienced with electrical diagnosis you are but I sent you the info from the service manual.

ok, thanks. I just remebered, when I did replace the fuse with the relays in place and the fuse blew, I had the wiring harness to the transfer case unhooked so i dont know if that would change anything, Thanks!

Well it means the shift motor is not the problem. Swap some relays around and see if the problem changes. A dead short in the wiring may be hard for you to find. I can get you some harness/connector info if you want to go into that yourself.