Factory Subwoofer Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Garcia

Reaction score
i have a 2001 job 2 sport trac. i have an aftermarket headunit on my ST. my sport trac has the ready to plug and play outlet on the passenger sidekick panel. i went out and purchased a factory subwoofer with amp from a 2001 ford explorer sport. i plugged the wiring harness to the inlet on the sidekick panel and plugged the other end to the suwoofer. but i do not hear a sound. no bass is produced! i got another ford factory amp and plugged the factory subwoofer and wiring harness to it but still no sound. what do i need to do. i pulled the headunit out and every wire was connected but i noticed this blue wire was just hangin there. thank you in advanced for your input.

Be aware that the factory subwoofer requires 5 volts and not 12 volts DC. Most, if not all, aftermarket radios put out 12 volts. I had to buy a voltage step down device before my factory subwoofer worked properly (Sony aftermarket radio). The original ford radio sent 5 volts to the subwoofer.

Last edited by a moderator:
well ive heard of many ST'ers with factory subwoofer and aftermarket radio with no problems.

what could possible happen in the situation you have just informed me of. i still need help tryin to make it work.

LABulldog is rite, the factory sub only requires a 5 volt DC turn on. The 12 volts DC will make the subwoofer pop when it's initially turned on, mine did it after installing my Pioneer Z3 4 yrs ago. You will need a voltage step down device to resolve the issue.

so how do i go about to making it work. i removed my headunit and i notice this square device mounted inside. withe three connectors plugged in. and the middle one seem to be whats running to the sidekick panel. how do i make my aftermarket radio work with the factory subwoofer. i thought it was simply a plug and play

Latest posts