Factory warranty on leather steering wheel?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian K 2

Reaction score
What kinda luck do you think I'll have with the dealer in regards to the gross peeling of the leather on the steering wheel? Its in the 12 o clock posittion and 3-4 inches long and 1-2 wide. Its where my hand holds while driving? Bought truck used had a very small tear there to begin with. Its 04. Truck is close to 30K miles.....taking it in for routine trans service. Wish me luck??? I think its unsightly and sub par quality.:angry:

I asked one of the engineers in Louisville what they do when they get steering wheels returned. He said that they actually run a chemical analysis on them to find out what caused them to peel. I thought that it might be from the acidic oils on our hands (the kind that turns jewelry green), but he said "that it is from hand lotions and stuff like that". I am thinking that if that stuff can do that to leather steering wheels: What is it doing to us?

Had the same problem in my '01 trac. It wore almost all the way through before I put a cover on the wheel. I too do not use lotions other than aftershave, but it is never the same brand. I use whatever is on sale at the time that I need it.... My delaer considered the steering wheel a wearand tear item similar to tires or brakes. Therefore if I wanted to pay for it to be replaced, I could do so....

Ditto...no lotions here, and always a clean hand on the wheel. My wife's 04 Mountaineer is exhibiting the problem at about 12:30 position (between 12 and 1) on the wheel. The leather is cracking, in little pits, about 1/4" wide by almost 2" inches long....I actually blame this on the sun, myself based on the position, and the fact that neither of us rests our hands there when driving. My 04 ST is okay. Both vehicles garage kept, both run by us about the same amounts (we swap back and forth to even out the miles).

Oh, and she has the light GRAY leather on the Mountaineer, and I the dark gray. Maybe the lighter gray is more susceptible?

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this problem on every car I've had with leather steering wheels or a leather shift knob. I wrote it off on the acid, oil, etc., from my hands. Never happened to my friends or my wife. And, I've been known to wash my hands from time-to-time. Never used hand lotion.

On my 98 Mustang GT, Ford was to relpace the wheel under warranty before I sold it.

As to hand lotion, my pop used to Nivia lotion on leather good - boots, baseball gloves, etc. He said it kept the leather soft. When he stopped doing that, the leather dried and split.

An update. Took in for warranty as well as slow filling gas. New wheel ordered, and new filler neck for gas. Some little things also fixed on the spot. So far mostly happy with lil' red.

Latest posts