Fan Nut tight as H!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score

Guys,

help me here. I got the water pump pulley from Underdog and I am trying to loose the fan nut but, it does not moves.

What am I doing wrong? I am following project as well as instructions but I am not going anywhere.

Please help!!!:angry::angry:

Jose

Those are a real pain to get off. If I remember right, they are also reverse threaded, so if you are trying to twist it in the direction a normal bolt would go to loosen it, you are probably tightening it instead! A little WD40 ahead of time will help if left for an hour or so to soak in.

Put a box wrench on one of the pulley bolts, then rotate it until it contacts the next pulley bolt in line. That will give you something to hold the pulley in place while you twist the fan nut off.

Get some penetrating liquid, soak it down in that and let it sit for a few minutes. Are you sure you're pulling the right way, and not making it tighter? Good idea to have some mechanic's gloves on, cause you're likely gonna hit your hand. I was wearing gloves, and when mine broke loose, I hit my hand on the engine block. Hit it so hard I couldn't work on the truck for about 2 hours and had to go get it looked at after I finished my project.

I looked at Jeff C's project, and he says the fan nut is right hand thread, which is the normal way.

Thanks guys.

I did spayed some penetrating oil and have waited a good have hour but nothing yet, man it is tight!!!

Is it really right hand tread? One roject says it is counter clock wise removal and there is a project saying it is normal tread. Which one is right?

Jose

Counter-clockwise is normal thread.

One way to prevent slamming a hand into something when it breaks loose is to orient the wrenches so they are close to each other, and then push them towards each other to loosen it. If you push each wrench with an open palm, the wrenches will come together between your hands, without a knuckle in the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
dreman, yes, that's a safer way to do it, but you will not be able to put as much torque into the wrench.

THE ST fan thread is Right hand tight, Standard thread.....

Jose I hope you have an asp UDP or the underdog stuff Will not fit...

Todd Z

Already completed and yes Todd, I do have the updated pulley, this one was one of my first projects on my ST.

Thanks to all.

Jose

Cool,

let us know how it turns out...

Did you get the Alt pulley as well ???

Todd Z

yes I did, but has not arrived yet, it is scheduled for today.

I hope to install it today too, dependingon arrival time.

Take care all.

Jose