fatory tonneau lock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david mahncke

Reaction score
how do i remove the lock from the tonneau. I need to take it out to get it rekey. I can fiquire of to remove the black plastic part for the metal clyinder.

thanks for the help

Under the cover is a metal clip, pull it off and the cylinder will come off... On the bottom there is the clip to remove the cables...

Todd Z

yea I know how the pull the metal clip around the bottom of the cover, what do you pull to get he cables and plastic clinder thing. DO u have to do something with the metal shaft that comes out the end? Thanks for the help, again

That I cant help with, I have never taken mine off or looked at it that closely..

Todd Z

davidmtrac,

You need to separate the plastic cable assembly from the metal lock cylinder. It can be kind of hard to do because they were not made to come apart after they were assembled..

Some people claim they can remove it by hand, but I had to use channel lock pliers.

I grabbed the plastic sleeve with the pliers just above the cables and twisted while I pulled down. It is possible to ruin the cable assembly, but in my case, it was broken anyway. I did not damage mine, except for some teeth marks in the plastic from the jaws of the pliers.

Good Luck,

...Rich

Thanks for the help for you guys. IT is always better to slow down and ask someone before jsut prying away at it. The black sleeves came right off with out breaking.