FedEx: How to pack Wheels/Tires for Shipping?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
What is an acceptable way to ship wheels? I'm using FedEx Ground and and want to know if using stretch wrap with cardboard circles for a pair of wheels/tires will suffice.

I was thinking of bolting two wheels together with cardboard in between, then cardboard discs on the outside and then stretch wrapping the two. Is stretch wrap strong enough without bolting?

I know there are shipping company workers here and would appreciate the input!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is how The Tirerack ships wheels. Two tires, unmounted, strapped together is how discount tire direct ships tires.

Tom

i recently bought a set of tires from

discount tire and all 4 tires had a triple

wrap of plastic wrap in just one area about

12" long, they then wrapped it twice with

packing tape and affixed my shipping labels.

fortunately they all arrived at the same time.

If you're shipping wheels with tires mounted, you might get into the oversize class if you try and put 2 together. The weight will probably be too much, usually cheaper to ship 1 at a time if it is.

Wheels by themselves, I prefer to ship in a box. Check with a local wheel shop for discarded boxes that'll be perfect size, or Lowe's has a pretty good selection of boxes fairly cheap.

Wheels w/ tires, cardboard circle on front and back, packing tape to hold them on.

Tires alone, tape the label on the tread by wrapping through the inside of the tire. Depending on the tire size and weight, you might be able to tape 2 together. Just make sure to wrap the tape several times in several spots around the tires.

You can get the cardboard circles from Discount Tire or Les Schwab in your area.

I just shipped a set of Wheels/Tires with UPS. I garbaged bagged the wheels/tires and put the cardboard circles on the inside of the bags on each side of the wheels. Packing taped all around the outside.

Well UPS charged me an additional 36.00 for not having cardboard on the outside even though it was on the inside.

Driver said that was the best packaging he has seen. Yeah, and he failed to tell me it was wrong too.

I shipped a bull bar just wrapped in bubble wrap and tape and no additional charge for not having cardboard. UPS policies are not consistent.

No wonder FedEx gives me incredible shipping rates over UPS.

I found a large TV box, it fit 2 rims and tires in each box.... UPS picked them up and shipped...

Todd Z

Mine came on a skid, but it was truck freighted.

I've shipped tires just banded together...and tire rack will tie them together with plastic ties and cardboard, or in just larger boxes.

Depends on the ship weight what is best, singles or doubled up. They should take them regardless, you more or less want to cover up as much as you can to avoid damage through their "oversize" goons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the imput. The wheels are from our Infiniti G35 Coupe. I sold them on eBay. This is how I packed them.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts