Figures... Warranty's up, and things start going wrong

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
:angry:. I've got a little over 37,000 miles, and my driver's side seat heater quit working. I think it's a bad switch, because I can't even get it to turn on, no light, no nothing. That's not too big of a deal though, because I think I'm going to take the Heated Seat Indicator projects posted here a step further and just relocate the switches to somewhere on the console.

Also, today my moonroof started acting squirrely.:angry: This was really aggravating, because I have my moonroof open all the time, and the weather's starting to get really nice. I think that's the switch also. Can anybody tell me how you remove the overhead console to get to the switch?

It's too late for Ford ESP, Paul. I'm over 36K miles. I'm not too worried, because these are little things that I can fix myself once I get a hold of a maintenance manual. But if too many things start to go wrong, I may look at a new ST sooner than I thought!

That is EXPERT American engineering! Lets see Honda or Toyota engineers do that! 36k is like the time bomb! tik tik tik. I hope I wont need my extended warranty, but I'm glad I have it!

Remember that all brands of vehicles have problems and on this website people come here looking for answers to problems. That's why we see so many problems.

Maybe someone else has been on a dedicated Honda or Toyota site and has seen the same thing there.

I think the difference may be that when an American car or truck lasts a long time people think, "You got lucky". When an import lasts a long time it's expected. Conversely, when an import with a rep for reliability breaks, it's bad luck and expected with an American brand even if the statistics show different.

Reputations are hard to get rid of (good or bad) even when they're not true any more.

Take, for instance, a person who has a rep for being late "all the time". Even when a long time goes by without being late, when that person is late again, others will think, "He/she is always late". Ya' know what I mean?

So far, all my problems occured in the first 30K miles (there were so many it was ridiculous). I'm now at 40K+ and it's smooth sailing so far (knock on wood).

Let's see here :

My '01 Trac with 67,000 miles

- 3 sets of brakes and rotors

- new lower arm bushings and ball joints

- new shocks, tranny R&R

- hood repaint, many interior trim issues

- etc, etc, etc........ you get the point...too many to list

My '99 Acura TL with 88,000 miles

- nothing

- I may change the brake pads this summer for fun.

What was it you were saying about reputations ???

tabascobobcat,

That just your experiences. I know people with Toyota's and Honda's with all kinds of problems, so my experiences equal out with yours.

Tom

I am not sure how you knowing people whom own other makes of cars makes your experiences equal out mine, but JD Powers does a nice job of summarizing everyone's experience. It's hard to argue with data. Everything else is just an opinion and it seems to me regardless of which web-site you are cruising, the general sentiment is that people try to justify their purchase by these opinions and ignore the facts, even if they are right in front of them.

Fact - My Ford breaks

Fact - My Acura hasn't

but I do know someone who knows someone..........

I was just offering up my experience, not someone elses or any opinions. I just stick to the facts.

2000 Honda Accord that hasn't had a single problem. 60k and only changed the brake pads once. Oh, I did have a light bulb blow.

My Trac has made me consider selling on numerous occasions in the 10 months I've owned it. Fortunately I am still under warranty.

Same with me.

My Ford does not break

My brother Honda Did. His buddies Toyota does. My nieces Toyota breaks.

My fathers, mothers, sisters, cousins, uncle's, etc. do not break. Many of them have well over 100,000 miles on them. My uncle has an F-350 with over 350,000 miles on it. Still runs. His son has a 199X F-150 with over 250,000 miles and no problems at all. My brother has a 1999 Explorer with 150,000 and he got it used with 120,000 mil;es. Besides normal maintenance and a few repairs, it runs fine. Those repairs were perfect till Ohio roads did thier toll on the suspension.

I can only speak on my behalf though. I did not mean to put you down. When I see a Ford on a daily basis with over 200,000 miles and hear those that brag about how great thier Honda or Toyota is with 150,000 miles, I just chuckle to myself.

Tom

Tom,

No put down taken.

I seriously doubt that my Trac will make it as long as your family's Fords unless I keep throwing much $$$ at it.

I am gald for them.

I had a 1989 F-150 for 12 years that I basically gave away and regret it all the time.

It was trouble free ( except the peeling paint issue) and continues to be for the new owners.

You can see a pattern start to develop with me.

I like to buy new and drive the wheels off. I just have my doubts about how much longer

that the Trac can stay. I may need to cut my losses and take a chance on something else.

I don't have the same doubts about my other car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no doubts about my Trac. I wouldn't think twice about taking it on a inter continental trip to South America, even with 1 year of driving on the same oil. Start it up and go.

This is the first Ford I actually planned on trading in after 5 years. After the replacement came out, I will do what I did with my last vehicle. Keep it till I get tires of it and buy the last year that identical model is made...unless Ford comes out with an F-150 with a 4.5L Power Stroke engine. Maybe...just maybe. I figure that by the year of 2010 I should be at 140,000 miles.

Tom

Tom, rumour has it 2008 is the year for that F150 power stroke.