Finally doing some maintenance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Branch

Reaction score
I'll turn over 100K miles this month and I finally dropped the Trac off for a check-up today. I bought my 01 with 45K miles on it and have never done anything to it but change the oil. I say this because I see so many complaints here about constant problems with the Trac, but I would challenge anyone to find me a more reliable truck.

She's getting a tranny and coolant flush, new plugs, rear diff oil change, throttle body cleaning, probably some new brake pads (had some squeeking and grinding over the past week) and a good once over on everything else.

Speak of the devil, the dealer just called. Said everything was great except the rear brakes. He said that the rear axel seal had leaked and soake the pads. So I need rear pads (which I expected) and a new axel seal. He quoted $250 (p&l) for the axel seal. I have never seen anyone mention this issue. Anyone else experience this leaking seal causing a problem with brakes?

Not a common ST issue, BUT it is a common RWD solid axle truck issue....

Thats a good price also.....

Did they change the other fluids, or did they say they where ok and not do any thing?

Todd Z

Yes, they changed all fluids, tranny, diff and coolant (had oil changed last week). They wanted to rotate and balance the tire but I have Michellins from Sears which come with free rotate and balance.

Thanks for the offer Big D but everything was completed yesterday. I think with a case of beer I could probably do it myself. Well, a case of beer and a hammer. Maybe a case of beer, a hammer and this flashlight I could get it done. Or maybe a case of beer, a hammer, this flashlight and a screwdriver.. yea that would get er dun. :D Again thanks for the offer. I'll remember that next time. Are you in Georgia?