Finally Installed: V8 Zabteck Throttle Body - 08 STA

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
For my birthday I finally got around to installing the used 07-08 V8 Zabteck Modified Throttle body. It was extremely easy. It took about 10min to install. I did it with half my truck in the garage and the other half sticking out the door lol. I read directions twice and I took my time because I had fingerless gloves on and it made it awkward in handling the bolts.

I was actually pretty shocked at how much it looked like the stock unit.

There were some very noticeable low end hp/tq gains. The throttle response was better throughout all the rpms and it did liven up the truck a little. It compliments the cold air intake pretty well.

Overall, a decent used purchase and probably worth the $150 shipped I spent on it. I dont think I would have been as happy if I paid more for it.

With this, I am now done my engine mods. I really don't think the cost will justify the gains on much else.

Last edited by a moderator:
psyc,

true on the comments regarding low end hp/tq gains as well as the better throttle reponse.

i am missing that now that i have had mine removed and returned back to stock.

also as you said not much more you can do that is worth it

did you get mine?

I bought Eduardo Tovar's unit. I spent a 1/2 hour cleaning that thing. It was hella dirty but it looked brand new when I was done.

The air in Mexico must be blucky!

Ed's TB was a first design modded TB.....

IT is not bored as much and I don't thing both shafts were shaved like the new style is...

Just a thought...

Gary,

Scott SVT has your old one...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you may not be as impressed with it as I am with mines because of the older design. Not sure of the gain differences between the v6 and the v8 engines, but very noticeable gains in the HP and throttle response dept. for me. Probablly one of the best bolt ons for HP IMO.

I think it is about 1-2 MM depending on the year. Ford changed the casting manufacturers and now there are 3 different part numbers for the TB's.... LOL and they all are interchangeable..LOL...

Todd Z

guys/gals

as you know i think the minor "performance" mods that we do gain pretty much next to nothing. but i must say the TB is well worth it as you will notice the difference. not neck breaking , but a good mod for the money.

just my 2 cents

Yeah. Absolutely feel the difference. Not as much as I had expected but I've also added exhaust, intake and a custom tune. I'm thinking that I've reached the point of diminished return for small mod gains. Fine by me. $875 is more than enough money dumped into my ego!

psycareo,

You might want to e-mail Torrie and ask him to tweak your tunes now that you've installed the TB.;)

Or, do a bit of data-logging and send the info to him so that he can further refine your tunes for your particular STA's configuration.

This is all good to hear as I have recently ordered my Zabteck TB!

Looking forward to the gains it will give in hp/tq & MPG.

Looking forward to the gains it will give in hp/tq & MPG.

The hard part is actually realizing gains in MPG, 'cause the hp/tq gains somehow cause your foot to get heavier!:lol:

The hard part is actually realizing gains in MPG, 'cause the hp/tq gains somehow cause your foot to get heavier!

But if you can control your foot you will see that there are gains. I just drove round trip yesterday from Dallas to Houston and got an overall average of 21.6 mpg. 90% highway and the rest city driving or idling in a driveway with the heat pumping to keep the family warm. I have an 07 V8 ST w/the Zabteck throttle body and K&N drop in filter, otherwise it's bone stock. I agree that the modified TB is a great bang for buck purchase.