Firing order for 66 F100?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62851

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know what the firing order is for the 1966 Ford F100? Its got 352 in it. Timing is off, and need to know what the firing order is. Thanks in advance.

My manual only goes back to 1967-352. FO 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8. Rotation ccw. Timing 6 degrees BTC.

Hope that helps..

Been along time eddie dwell angle is the duration of time the points are open or closed?

can't remember.

remember back in the day the gap would be about the thickness of a matchbook cover.

You cleaned the points with the striker side and where good to go.

Bill, It has been along time. I dont remember running a 40 gap on my dual point 406 fe motor. Seemed less. that was along time ago though.

edit; odd enough I still have a dwell meter..

Last edited by a moderator:
40 degs dwell angle, not gap, gap was about 15 thou.

ya I have a dwell meter, and even a timing lgt:) why I don't know. useless tools today.

Bill, maybe we should take some pics of the old stuff. We can have a show and tell for the young guys.:lol:

AH the good old days, we had fuel pumps with two bolts on the side of the engine that ran off of a cam lobe, you could swap one out in 15 mins instead of dropping the tank and wasting a day, you could adjust your own timing, you could adjust your A/F ratios with two screws on the side if your holly or stromberg carbs.

You could change your plugs and wires in 30 mins (remember when you could actually see the plugs)

You only had one timeing chain that never needed to be replaced.

You busted a manual tranny in your 50 ford, go to the wrecking yard, 15 bux later and a couple hrs you were back on the road

Start buttons today are all the rage, cut my teeth on 40, 46. 49, 50 fords amd mercs, they all had start buttons.

when you changed your oil you bought bulk refined oil (10 cents a qt) and your major mod was one of those oil canisters that used a roll of cheap toilet paper (they worked)

Emissions are lower for sure, but have we really gotten that much better?

Only lights you ever saw on the dash was when the headlights got turned on at night.

was in cuba bout 6 yrs ago on a fishing trip, guide picked us up in Havana in a prestine 53 chevy, drove us 60 miles to the bass lake we fished, was like being in a time machine.

car ran flawlessley, never thru a CEL the entire trip:)

Guess I am just getting old, but still feel newer is not better.

Thats okay Eddie

S$$T, cronologicaly I am 61, pysically i may be about 90 (abused myself in the 60s but I think I had a good time)

mentally i may be 18, and I drive it like It like I stoled it. is eight and time for bed and my meds( motrin, viacton, glucosomine, vicodan)

as Waylon jennings said Eddie, we may be used, but we aint used up.

I have a dwell meter and timing light. Also have the funky distributor clamp wrench, as well as the special AC/DELCO cam lubricant.

I believe the ford takes the 9/16" end of the distributor clamp wrench...

Dwell is the rotation of the points closed time.

Remember it was something like 44 degrees on my old Super Beetle. 10 mm distributor clamp socket did the job for the timing.

Never used a dwell meter on a Ford. We always just set the point gap. Dwell on a GM was easy to adjust with that little window on the side of the distributor. Still have that little flexy allen wrench on a screwdriver handle that I used to set dwell. Still have the timing light, too. And a set of R12 AC gauges!

and your major mod was one of those oil canisters that used a roll of cheap toilet paper (they worked)

Ahh, the good old Franz Oil Filters. I still have some of those around my place.

Tom

Richard, Have you considered switching to Electronic Ignition?

I have a 1961 Galaxie Sunliner with a 352 in it, and we added electronic ignition to the existing distributor. Super simple install, and under $100 for the kit.

See part number B7A-12000-1281 from Dennis Carpenter.

Dave