First Mechanical Problem with my ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
Well, the past few weeks, every once in a while I'd get a grinding noise while cranking (another person posted this too). This morning, went to crank her up, and nothing...checked the battery cables, etc, etc, then got out the rubber mallet and tapped the starter. She cranked right up after that, so I drove up to Advance Auto, picked up a new one to the tune of $124.80, and had it installed in under an hour. Very easy install, all you need is a 13mm socket, and 10mm, 13mm, and 14mm wrenches. Old one popped out, new one popped in.

I didn't see any metal flakes or anything inside the old one, and I'm gonna have it tested, and see if I can replace the solenoid for S&G to know if it was the starter or the solenoid, but overall, it was a very easy fix, total of 2 hours time (including figuring out what it was, going to the store, etc, etc), but I'm a little disappointed the starter went at 83k...oh well, like I said, this is my first major mechanical problem (and I wouldn't even really call it major) and it was fixed with my morning spare time...I still love my Sport Trac!

I think this is the Third issue......

1) Bad battery terminal at Louisville

2) Bad wheel bearings

3) Starter...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, On the 2wd it is an easy swap, You should see all the crap in the way on the 4WD !!!!!

Todd Z

Agreed !!!!!..... ;););)

Todd Z