First Oil Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Williams

Reaction score
Just got back from Vacation and the Trac is at 4000 miles. Time for an oil change. Thinking about changing to synthetic for the first time. I've read that it might help MPG a bit (got 19.6 MPG from KY to FL). Here's my questions:

- Will going to Synthetic affect the warranty

- Book says change every 5K, do I need to keep that up with Synthetic to keep the warranty?

- Thinking about using Mobil 1 for Truck/SUV. Didn't buy it yet, but I think it said good for 15K. Fram filter I can get is good for 7.5K.

Everything I've read here says keep the oil topped off and run to the limits given for the oil.

Anyone have any other comments to help.

PS - Rotating tires every 5K also. Switched to Monroe Sensatracs at 2K and they are GREAT!!

afwill

Going to synthetic will not affect the warranty, you may use any SAE approved 5W30 or 10W30.

I change my oil and filter every 4k. I'm pretty sure you have to do it at least every 5k to maintain the warranty no matter what oil you use.

DO NOT USE A FRAM FILTER!!! Just get a motorcraft FL-820S and change it with every oil change. On the Truck/SUV oil, I looked at that last time, and unless you're planning to beat the $%*& out of your ST like I do, synthetic will be fine. I use 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the "winter"

5W30 is recommended oil, but when it starts to warm up, I get the "timing chain rattle", which I read on here is an indication of low oil pressure, when I use the 10W30, the rattle goes away. Just last week I made the winter/summer change over cause I was getting the rattle, and it has since gone away.

The only thing I will add is that I would go 1 more oil change on regular oil before switching to synthetic. Just give the engine that little extra time to break in.....

And I would not go past the manufacturer oil change interval, even with a different oil if you still under warranty...

They could blame you if something happens..

Todd Z

Use 5w30 Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 oil filter. Change every 7,500 miles or twice a year. Keep it full. Don't worry about your oil any more than this.

Break-in not needed with synthetic. Many vehicles come from factory with Mobil 1 in them.

Latest posts