First time ST'er mods

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raser x

Reaction score
I recently purchased an 04 Adrenalin (http://www.zjstech.net/~library/17412/truck.jpg).

My wife redecorated my M3 (http://www.zjstech.net/~library/17412/bmw%20wrecked.jpg) If you call relocating the rear quarter panel into the trunk redecorating.

I'm going to miss her.... The car I mean.

Since purchasing the Sport trac I have installed vent shades, An "Adrenalin" windsheild logo (I had made locally), a Magna-flo cat back stainless exhaust and a K&N FIPK gen2 intake system.

I'm considering a computer chip mod next. I have had great luck with a powercommander piggyback chip on my bike (http://www.zjstech.net/~library/17412/motorcycle.jpg) and would like to have the same benefits on the truck.

Are the chips I have been reading about on this site easy to download. How long does it take? Can I modify the mapping myself or do I need to send it in? At what cost? I plan on lots of experimentation and future mods (RaserX grins like kid in a candy store). I plan on fiddling with performance vs mileage so I don't want to buy something I must continually send back. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Especially the one that starts with "if I had it to do all over again".

I found this site three months after I bought my um...Truck?. It has been very informative. You guys deserve a pat on the back. Its nice to see such a diverse and devoted community.

P.S. Has anybody tried Mickey thompson tires?

Thanks RaserX

RaserX, welcome. I have an 04 ST and I use the tuner from WFOY. It works great! Wayne can give you a few options with the programs you load into the computer. Best to check with him directly he is one of our sponsers. Gary D. in CT

Welcome!!!!!!!

I know the mod bug ohh so well...:p

Tires nope sorry,,,

Get a programmable flasher, You get a base program and then via email you can be sent new programs, OR get the software and edit it your self....

The chips for the ST tend to have problems due to the computer mounting ....

Talk to the member Wayne Foy...

Hypnotic Illusions

360 Ashton Way

Winder, GA 30680

Phone: 770-378-3447

Fax: 678-714-0038

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://www.hypillauto.com/

HE will hook you up and get you the right program for your needs...

Plus the flasher can hold up to 3 different programs and takes 10 min total to re flash..

Hey ToddZ, By reflash do you mean switch between the three programs? So it would take ten minutes to go from a highway program to a city driving mode? Please explain.:huh:

Welcome!

The programmer hold 3 different 'tunes', the original stock program is always saved. The programmer is plugged into the OBDII connector below the steering column. You select from the menu choices for the program you want and it swaps out one for another. It actually takes less than 2 minutes for the process, which includes connecting the programmer.

Wayne goes to great lengths to give you a product that works the way you want.

Thanks TRACket. Do you have any idea what ToddZ ment by problems with mounting? i.e. wont accept programing or does he mean physically bolted. Are the chips sensitive to be reprogramed?

RaserX,

I noticed in the photo of your truck that you have the Ford hard tonneau cover. An excellent upgrade is the LeverLift EZLift tonneua cover lift system. The kits are currently on Sale as a Group Buy for only $100 which includes shipping. That's a savings of $35 from the regular members price.

The EZLift consists of 4 gas springs and custom mounting hardware to lift both cover halves and hold them open leaving your hands free to load and unload your cargo. The lower mounting plate bolts to the sides of the pickup bed using the existing threaded holes and bolts, so there is no drilling into your bed required.

Once installed the EZLift will allow you to turn the key to release the side latches, and your cover will automatically open to about 65-degrees and be held open just like a car trunk lid.

Close the cover with a slight slam and your cover is locked and latched close.

If you need to fold the cover all the way back, or completely remove it to carry larger cargo, the gas springs utilize quick release ball & socket style mounts allowing you to quickly remove and install the gas springs.

I have been a sponsor for 4 years an a longtime member of this site.

...Rich Lunder

The LeverLift Company

Last edited by a moderator:
The mounting problems refer to swapping the chip in the ECM which is located on the firewall in the engine compartment. When the original chip is removed a seal is broken and any other chips installed are subject to movement which can cause many problems.

A programmer from Wayne eliminates those problems, adds a huge amount of convenience, flexibility and potential warranty problems at the dealerships.

Hello, and welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your Bimmer, and glad you kept your wife :lol:

Give me a call next week. We can discuss some of the performance options I have available for the SportTracs.

Welcome RaserX! :D

I see you have not done any suspension yet. I recommend new shocks, Explorer Express anti-sway bar, and Roadmaster Active Suspension. People here will probably say you don't need the RAS, but after putting it on I will continue to recommend it because the more I drive our ST with the RAS installed the more I like it. The RAS compliments the sway bar perfectly, and makes for a more comfortable and controlled ride. :)

Latest posts