Flex-Fuel ST'ers: Now You Can Make Your Own Ethanol

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
If you want to shell out almost $10,000, you can make your own Ethanol. Supposedly, you can make it for $1.25/gal and see a return on the investment in about 1.5 years.

Interesting... On first impression, this doesn't strike me as a "snake oil" scam. The President/CEO has an impressive resume.

Thomas Quinn, President and CEO

Thomas Quinn has over thirty years of leadership experience in the high-tech sector. Mr. Quinn has built four successful start-up companies, the most recent being Gyration, Inc., the patent holder of the Nintendo Wii controller.

At Gyration, where Mr. Quinn served as president and CEO, he raised $40 million in equity financing and in 2004 sold the company to Thomson, Inc. Prior to Gyration, Mr. Quinn founded Samsung Information Systems America (SISA), a servicer of memory storage products in San Jose, CA, which he grew to $200 million in revenues. Prior to SISA, Mr. Quinn was President of Novell, Inc., the country's first local network company. While at Novell, Mr. Quinn helped grow revenues to over a billion dollars and achieved a 60% profit margin. Prior to Novell, Mr. Quinn helped develop the industry's first micro processor interface hard disk drive at Seagate (Shugart Associates).

Mr. Quinn has multiple patents in the areas of inertia gyro and human motion translation. Mr. Quinn attended De Anza College.

Nice but how much is sugar these days....

"It will take between 10lbs to 14lbs of sugar to produce 1 gallon of ethanol. The MicroFueler is capable of producing 5 gallons of ethanol per day once fermentation is complete."

Won't you face lawsuits from your local government for not paying taxes on road use? I remember a guy got in trouble for making bio-diesel and not paying taxes.

You still need gasoline since the Flex-Fuel engines are designed to run on a maximum of E85 (85% alcohol to 15% Gasoline) Then you have to be sure the gasoline you buy does not already contain alcohol (sum contain as much as 11% alcohol)

Since alcohol gets about 25% less fuel mileage, and it does not include a labor charge, soI don't really think the numbers work out to make it worth the time and effort to make your own.

...Rich

I'm glad I live in PA. I can get my sugar from the Schrute Beet Farm. Mohs knows all about stills.

Just watch Mohs doesn't stick a racoon in your car while you are getting your beet pulp.

Beerdelivery it's going up too b/c of the price to haul it!

Saw a thing on the new the other day, the local beer distributor was saying that folks have slowed on buying topshelf beer and are now buying bottom shelf (miller high life vs Miller Genuine Draft)

Me, I switched brands of bourbon.... Jim Beam has gone from 18.90 to 25.99 at the Exchange.

Latest posts