Floor Mats

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Fengel

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Good morning! I've had my '01 Sport Trac since it was new. It's got 205,000 miles on it and for the most part has been trouble free. It uses no oil and I change it at 5,000 miles and have always used Mobil 1. It has the original transmission, and the timing tensioners were replaced at 60,000 miles. The bottom cushion on the Driver's side is poking me in the butt and I have a quote to have it rebuilt since there aren't replacements available or at least I haven't found any.

One thing I would like to do is clean up a few areas and one big one for me are the original floor mats. I regularly vacuum them but over the years just a vacuum doesn't remove all the dirt. I've been hesitant to wash them for fear of ruining the "foam" backing. Has anyone got any suggestions on cleaning original floor mats?

Any help is appreciated!

John

Good to hear from a fellow 2001 SportTrac owner;
considering forum join in 2018, you've been very quiet\patient.
Bought ExST late 2001 as a dealer demo\loaner @10kMiles, now 250kMiles+;
original Engine+Tranny+TCase+Diffs+...
Simularly been OCD with maintenance; still basicly stock with minor improvements:
Aluminum ThermoStatHousing, AllAluminum 4CoreRadiator, Metal HeaterValve, Split FanShroud;
swapped
~ Oil from 5w30.Blended to 0w30.FullSyn
~ OilFilter from MotorCraft to K&N
~ ATF from MerconV to AmsOil#SSMVS.FullSyn
~ RearDiff from 75w140.BaseOil+FricModifier to Half+Half AmsOil#75w140+SAE250.FullSyn+FricModifier
~ FrontDiff from 80w90.BaseOil to Half+Half AmsOil#75w140+SAE250.FullSyn+FricModifier
~ RearShocks from Stock MotorCraft to AdjustableAir Monroe for occasional towing
~ AdjustablePlates With ~1i500Lift on Stock RearSpringHangers to resolve LeftLean

Original "SportTrac" logo mats with hard plastic backing? still in good shape; wash with hose+soap.
You could try junk yards for these mats; likely a rare find.
Drivers seat needed simular repair several years ago;
~ pulled both front seats to work bench, disassembled,
~ sewed up original cushion+cloth with heavy thread,
~ securely wrapped both seats with new covers,
about time to redo that work. Also need new seals around doors; whistling in the wind.
Hope this helps. Click here for more info on my wiki pages.
2001.Ford_Inte.Fore_FloorMats.GIF

2001.Ford_Inte.Fore_Seat.Left.GIF

Last edited:
as he mentioned soap and water, i have used a scrub brush on mine, and light degreaser and once in awhile pressure washer and they look good still, detailing over the years i have never seen one break down from cleaning, its the heels that usually do them in, a wear spot where heel is over time.

Good morning! I've had my '01 Sport Trac since it was new. It's got 205,000 miles on it and for the most part has been trouble free. It uses no oil and I change it at 5,000 miles and have always used Mobil 1. It has the original transmission, and the timing tensioners were replaced at 60,000 miles. The bottom cushion on the Driver's side is poking me in the butt and I have a quote to have it rebuilt since there aren't replacements available or at least I haven't found any.

One thing I would like to do is clean up a few areas and one big one for me are the original floor mats. I regularly vacuum them but over the years just a vacuum doesn't remove all the dirt. I've been hesitant to wash them for fear of ruining the "foam" backing. Has anyone got any suggestions on cleaning original floor mats?

Any help is appreciated!

John
Hi John. I'm a member from the original days of the forum (back when Rich Stern ran it), but have been mostly inactive these past few years. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe I have a complete set of Gen 1 floor mats (front and back) brand new, still in their wrapping.
I need to locate the box, and I'll know for sure. You can have them for the cost of shipping.

Hi John. I'm a member from the original days of the forum (back when Rich Stern ran it), but have been mostly inactive these past few years. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe I have a complete set of Gen 1 floor mats (front and back) brand new, still in their wrapping.
I need to locate the box, and I'll know for sure. You can have them for the cost of shipping.
Following up: I located the box, and it's exactly as I remembered. A full set, still in the plastic wrap. Let me know if you want it, otherwise, it goes back on the shelf.

Lots of information on the s/t s. ….you guys have been very lucky with 200k plus original tranny /rear end. on your s/t s only proves to me if you take care of it it will last….as a guy who bought his 5 s/t s 2 sports with 200 k each one…one grand each…. All broken with either a engine or tranny bad…all have been replaced with rebuilt engines and rebuilt trannys
I’m in for the long haul…. Only heard from my mechanic of one s/t going 300k….and that’s all he does…mostly 200/225 k with death rattle…..trannys with 150/200k. From my tranny guy..So you guys are way ahead of the game…rear ends last forever…unless you run them out of oil…cars mats you can find them in junk yards but there getting harder to find in good condition..I go once every 2 weeks…
S/t s are starting to show up in junkyards a lot now….about time 22 year old truck…Chris Orlando

Following up: I located the box, and it's exactly as I remembered. A full set, still in the plastic wrap. Let me know if you want it, otherwise, it goes back on the shelf.
EricP, I would love to have them. Please let me know how much shipping would be. John

If he doesn’t want the mats I have need for my 04 ST.

Latest posts