Fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHRIS KOPEC

Reaction score
I see member here changing there power steering fluid and Brake fluid; do u just drain and fill the tank? This is my first truck and I expect it to last a long time. I do all the little things like: oil-3000 mile, Tire and check brakes-6000, Fuel filer-15000, tranny flushed-30000, antifreeze-30000Ijust did the plugs and wire @50000. I have never done the axle, power steering or the brake fluid. Should I do or get them done; when? What about my 5 speed cluch fluid, should I change it too? When should I change my cluch?

Does this sound about right? What else should I do? Should I do anything differently?

Thanz...

I would change it all every 60K minimum... The brakes have a bleed sequence, gear boxes require a pump or removal of the covers, antifreeze can just drain and fill properly, but a machine flush is better....

the p/s you can drain and add then bleed, but the purge machine is better.. IF you don't know much about the systems, you better leave it to the mechanics, but it is not cheep....

Most of the fluids in the old days never got changed, but today the parts are not built as well..

Good luck

Todd Z

The manual transmission does not require flushing. It has a drain just like your engine and will adequately drain. It takes automatic transmission fluid. The differential does not have a drain and you must remove the rear cover (6 or 8 bolts). There is no gasket so be sure to properly clean the metal to metal surface and then use the correct silicon sealer. The super black sealer stuff didn't work for me and it started to leak several weeks later. I had to redo it. I used gray automotive silicon which so far it hasn't leaked. Recommend the OEM sealer and pay the extra.

Brake fluid makes sense to flush since brakes can be exposed to heat cycles and possible condensation build-up which crystallizes hygroscopic brake fluid. I am quite certain, the clutch cylinder is inside the bell housing not accesible until the transmission is removed. Going from memory on that.

Latest posts