Fog Lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyates

Reaction score
Question regarding fog lamp install. Just purchased a Ford kit off of Ebay. Had a friend install them for me. Lamps work great as they are hooked up, they work with parking lamps, low beams and high beams. My question regards functioning with the autolamp system. They are not working when the switch is in the "auto" mode. My Sport Trac is an '05, and though the fog lamp kit is for the Sport Trac, I am wondering if there is something left off of the wiring instructions to make them work with the autolamp system. IN another words, do I/they need to place a jumper wire somewhere along the system. Thanks for any suggestions.

Do the fogs have a separate switch, did you replace the headlamp switch with one for fogs, are they wired to be triggered by the park/head lights? We'd have to know HOW they are wired not to figure out what's going on.

Thanks Steve. The fogs are wired with their own switch. My headlamp switch, though auto lamps, did not have a fog light switch built in like my '04 Exp. does. The fogs are triggered with all light functions, park, low beam, high beam. They just, at present, are not triggered by the autolamp system. It is not a huge deal, but I leave mine in auto mode most of the time, so it would be nice if the fogs will come on as well (as long as the fog switch is on too of course). Reading in my manual, the '05 fogs from the factory were triggered by the auto function. What makes me think this function was not wired in with this install is that, as I understand it, the '01 - '04 years did not allow the fogs in the auto function, so whatever needs to be hooked up for that trigger must not be in the instructions with the kit. Any idea what I might be missing in the set-up for the wiring?

Follow-up. With Steve's help I moved the "signal" wire (wired in at the main headlamp switch) from the white/red instrument cluster power wire to the red/yellow auto lamp relay wire. Basically the only purpose of this wire anyway is to send a signal to the fog lamp system that the headlamps are on. I now have fogs with low beams only in both manual on mode and auto on mode. At some point I will do the high beam mod to let the fogs stay on with the high beams. But at this point I am pleased to have fogs available in auto lamp mode like my '04 Expl. has!!

Sent you an update this morning. The BN parking lamp wire will give you fogs anytime any lights are on I'm pretty sure. Check it with the Autolamp position though.

Latest posts