For those that installed the Tranny drain plug

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
I installed mine and ever since it weeps a little oil, nothing major maybe a drop or 2 over 4 days. But this doesn't instill much confidence in it, especially wit ha trip to the OBX in a few weeks. I'm thinking of wrapping the threads with teflon tape or some silicon adhesive. Just wondering if anyone else had the same issue and what they did.

Thanks, Jeff

My brother live in the outer banks. I love it there! The teflon tape should help but get the kind that works best for oil. I know the white is for plastic and iron fittings and the pink is for gas pipes. I think there is a special kind for threds for oil. I'm a Boilermaker not a Pipefitter. Hee Hee

Is it leaking past the threads or leaking out of the nylon washers ????

I always change out the nylon washers for the rubber/metal ones, those work the best...

Todd Z

I gunked my nylon washer with permatex before installing it, so it didn't leak. The stupid thing would turn with the plug whenever I tried to remove the plug, though, unless I put a wrench on it to hold it in place while removing the plug. I replaced the nylon washer with a metal washer with a rubber o-ring bonded to the inside, tightened the crap out of it, and we'll see if that stops it. It doesn't leak now, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not 100% positive which spot it's leaking from, my gut feeling is both spots.

I will look into the washers I guess. Wish I woulda known this going in, I guess I'll have to drop the pan again.:huh:

Any part # for the washers?

I haven't seen this particular TSB mentioned around here before. Maybe it applies to you.

A/T - 5R44E/5R55E Part Level Change/Compatibility

TSB 06-24-13

11/20/06

5R44E / 5R55E SERVICE PART LEVEL CHANGE / COMPATIBILITY

FORD:

1997 Aerostar

1997-2001 Explorer

1997-2007 Ranger

2001-2003 Explorer Sport

2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

MERCURY:

1998-2001 Mountaineer

ISSUE

Some vehicles equipped with a 5R44E or 5R55E automatic transmission may require repair of the transmission. This TSB is being published as informational only in order to avoid mix I match of incorrect service parts which will cause a fluid leak. Beginning with 8/29/2006 production, the 5R44E or 5R55E automatic transmission will have a new transmission case, fluid pan, a REUSABLE fluid pan gasket and new fluid pan screws.

Last edited by a moderator: