For those with an 07+ V8...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingo

Reaction score
If you're thinking about changing your thermostat...

Don't.

It's an evil PITA. Also, the coolant is available only at the Ford dealer. The crap at the parts stores that says it mixes with all types of coolant lies.

What is so special about the fluid that Ford sells that is not like any other?? I haven't looked to see where the thermostat is at on mine yet. I have close to 30k on it now, and don't really anticipate needing to find it for a while yet.. Where is it at that makes it so difficult?? I assume it is in a plastic housing, am I right?

It's got a traditional metal neck, and it's right below the throttle body and intake manifold. It's at the back of the upper radiator hose. You'll see it.

The coolant has a special additive.

...and the advantage of a cooler thewrmostat is? Besides the fact that it will burn more gas...

Tom

You actually use less gas. And you get more power.

That being said, it's probably less than one quarter of 1 hp, and less than 1/8 mpg, but the reason I did it is because of my water pump being slowed to about half-speed. I get the power back from the lack of parasitic drag, and between the thermostat and the Purple Ice (coolant additive,) I have no danger of overheating, even if sitting completely still in hot weather.

Use less gas and get more power? Nope.

Your engine wants to run at a pre determined temperature. It is designed to run at that temp. All the metals used in an engine will expand and contract at different rates at different degrees. The engine was designed to operate at one temperature range.

The ecu is also progr4amed to bring the engine to its operating rage.

A little trick is go to the drag races. Let your engine cool and run down the track. The next run, do it while it is fully warm.

The fully warm engine will be faster down the track.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
A1,

Purple Ice is Royal Purple's (the name purple gives it away) version of water wetter.

Tom

Tom and Gavin, first of all, I AM an engineer. Secondly, this same engine was used in the 05+ Mustang GT, and the stock thermostat is a 180 degree for the 2005 and 2006 model years. Only in '07, did they raise it. The stock thermostat is made by Stant and branded as Motorcraft, and the one I used is identical to the stock one on the '05 and '06 Mustang GT. I also have retuned the truck 10+ times, and I take into account things like this. The cooler engine temps help keep the air charge cooler and more dense, allowing more power for the same amount of fuel. It's the same reason a CAI works.

A1, Purple Ice is the Royal Purple version of Redline's Water Wetter product. From RP's website:

Purple Ice is a high performance, synthetic, radiator coolant additive. It reduces engine heat by reducing the surface tension of the radiator fluids for improved heat transfer.

Purple Ice also helps to prevent the formation of scale deposits in the radiator for optimum coolant flow, and it lubricates the water pump seals.

Purple Ice should always be used in conjunction with antifreeze in regions where freezing temperatures occur. Purple Ice is compatible with traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze (green) and GM Dex-Cool® antifreeze.

Dingo, can you run purple ice with 50/50 mix of the ford gold? I used red line water weter in my stang and it recomended less than 50/50 mix of anti freeze for optim performance.

Absolutely, Fast Eddie. It works better with less antifreeze, but it still works pretty damn well regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dingo,

Does the 4.6 ST use the coolant to heat the PCV and the TB as with the earlier 4.6 ???

Could add some more ponies that way....

It was nice to see the 4.0 does not heat the PCV or the TB unless you turn the heat on...

I was going to run a 180 in the 4.0 but BOTH tuners told me it was a waste and their dyno testing showed nothing in the HP department.....

Todd Z

Todd, it does what the V6 does. As I said, the HP difference is VERY minimal. A fraction of a HP at most. I did it mostly for the additional cooling because I'm in a southern state with a water pump that runs half of normal speed. With the stock 192 thermostat, by the time it opens, it doesn't evacuate fast enough to keep the temp stable. Now, it'll open earlier, adding that stability. It's really pretty much irrelevant when you're moving, but when you're stuck in traffic in 100 degree temps, you have more of a problem.