Ford Explorer SHO?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I just looked at the same web page as the screenshot below, and it now shows only "Explorer", not "Explorer SHO". So either the screenshot's a Photoshop fake, somebody at Ford put that there by mistake, or intentionally as a teaser to set the automotive media world abuzz.

Hmmmm....

Is A Ford Explorer SHO In The Works?

Posted By Chris Demorro On February 23, 2011 @ 6:51 pm I

21985ff24238992d1cd0a2a2e8d2ec1e.jpg

Since its launch in 1990, the Ford Explorer has become the best-selling SUV in the world. More then that though, it came to represent the meteoric rise and fall of the Sport Utility Vehicle craze in the past ten years. It got bigger, and slower, and a whole lot less sporty until Ford finally gave it an aggressive new design last year that has translated into rave reviews and commercial success. So why stop there?

If Jalopnik [1]is to be believed, Ford could be planning on an EcoBoost SHO version of the all-new Explorerand why not? Wed snap it up in a heartbeat.

America has a long, proud history of high horsepower SUVs, dating back to the Chevy Syclones and GMC Typhoons of the early 1990s. From there, Jeep carried the torch with its Limited and SRT8 V8-powered Grand Cherokees, and GM got back in the race with the Trailblazer SS. Ford never really made a sport version of its world famous SUV (the SporTrac doesnt count) but if ever there was a time for such a vehicle now is it.

Jalopnik points to a part of Fords website dedicated to the line of EcoBoost engines, which lists the Taurus SHO, the Ford Flex, andan Explorer SHO? At first we were skeptical because Ford has already announced it was adding an EcoBoost engine to the Explorers lineup, and since the Jalopnik post the Ford site appears to have been scrubbed of the SHO mention.

Then we started thinking about it; a 3.5 liter Explorer SHO makes perfect sense! The new Explorer is a big, beefy vehicle, and it isnt exactly quick. With the Taurus SHOs 365 horsepower mill under the hood though, the extra motivation could turn the Explorer into a very fun grocery getter. But is there a market for a turbocharged Mom-mobile? You tell us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read it will happen in the 2012 Police Utility but I can't put my finger on the article right now.:sad: If that is the case and I find a wrecked one the Mustang and the Sport Trac will be history.:banana:

I've noticed that the Taurus and new Explorer are both styled to be very similar right down to matching grills. They have also been Ford's top 2 brand names since they started. (Remember they changed the name to Ford 500 and sales plumeted). And I wouldn't be supprised to find that the new Explorer is actually a reinvented Freestyle/TaurusX.

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture is soo photochopped its not funny........

Todd Z

I've noticed that the Taurus and new Explorer are both styled to be very similar right down to matching grills. They have also been Ford's top 2 brand names since they started. (Remember they changed the name to Ford 500 and sales plumeted). And I wouldn't be supprised to find that the new Explorer is actually a reinvented Freestyle/TaurusX.

The Ford 500, Freestyle, Taurus, Taurus X, and 2011 Explorer are all based on a Volvo platform that Ford decided to use back when they still owned Volvo. The current Taurus and Explorer are built on the same assembly line at Ford's Chicago assembly plant.

Latest posts