Free Detailing DVD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Reaction score
For those that might be interested, found this on another site. Free DVD that shows how to polish your vehicle with an orbital polisher and how to use a clay bar. Basically an infomercial for their product but I'm sure it could be applied to any polisher

ps. I wouldn't buy their orbital polisher. I'm sure it's good but I've seen plenty of deals on decent polishers well under $100.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this offer yesterday on an episode of "two guys garage" on Speed tv. If it's free, hey, it can't hurt to get it. Also agree on your take on their polisher. There's more economical ones out there.

Autopia has something similar, which I downloaded last year. It is on my desktop though, which is still on a boat somewhere or has been scavenged by the Brits on their north shore.

ps. I wouldn't buy their orbital polisher. I'm sure it's good but I've seen plenty of deals on decent polishers well under $100.

Believe it or not, polishers--that is, random orbital with variable speed--fall under the maxim of you get what you pay for. Griot's polisher is decent, but not great. In the DIY-detailing world, the Porter Cable 7424 (or the 7336, which is the sanding variant but its backplate still takes 6" polishing pads) is arguably the best bang for the buck. I've screwed around with the cheap one-speed Wal-Mart specials and a higher-end Makita. In the end, for the price, the Porter Cable is as good as it gets. Top it off with the right pads, a little learning, and a little sweat, and you'll be able to pull most anything from your clear coat.

The Griot's polisher has the over-the-top handle, which the 7424 does not. Is it necessary? Not really--the 7424 has a side handle (looks like a single handlebar). When I got my 7424, it was about $150. They are still around there. The 7424 also offers a higher RPM range (2000-6000). See, e.g., http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pc-7424.html.

I lost a photograph I once had of the before/after comparison on a dark blue sedan. I used the polisher on the right half of the hood and only washed and waxed the left. The right had some clearcoat scratches, but nearly no swirls. The left, of course, was a mess.

What's the point? Beware when purchasing polishers. You get what you pay for. To learn a bit more, check out www.autopia.org.