Freezing at the PUMP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J V

Reaction score
OKay i think i might have mentioned this in an earlier post , but i need some advice.

When refueling at the pump it seems as if there is too much pressure or there is not enough room for the fuel to properly go through. The pump always stops and fuel spills out, and for those of you no; it's not full, any thoughts?

could it have something to do that at one point there was work done to the truck??

The early Tracs had/have a vent hose that sometimes comes off at either the front wheel well area and or at the canister by the spare tire. If it gets plugged or dirt in it when it comes off, it plays havoc at the fuel pump.

Also, if the canister is plugged or has a spider web in the filter/screen area it will also kick the pump off...

My '04 always has had fueling problems at 1/4 tank. But only at some stations. Some pumps I can fill it with the nozzle on max. Other pumps I can only pull the trigger 1/3 and it keeps kicking off. I think it is the speed of the pump and causing airiation or cavitation...Just a guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would drive me ABSOLUTELY nuts...

Seriously, if it could;t be fixed, it would be sold or at the dealers until they solved it with me driving a loaner...

yeah did i forget to mention it's minus 20 Cesius, or minus 4 farhenheit

coastiejoe did you end up getting yours fixed?

I had that happen a few times but it went away without me having to do anything to the ST. Maybe it was the pump because it hasn't done it for a long time and I don't think that it has done it ever with the pumps at the station I go to now. That I remember anyway.

For me it seems to happen at Shell stations pumps. Maybe its the nitrogen enrichment they claim...:lol:

Look up under your rear wheel well on the side of your fuel door. There is a small hose up there that connects to a plastic line going to the evap system. When it comes off the fuel backs up and wont go in very fast. If it takes fuel very slowly this is probably it.

Happened to me twice on my 03.

Just put the line back on and it will be fine.

One time it had ice in it so I poured a little dry gas in before hooking it back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
JV FROM T.O

I never had the issue, just telling you what we have found to be the issue with others here on the site...

drpertz,12/11/2009 08:58 ET

i will look under the wheel well today and hope to see something, i have looked before, and all looked normal no hanging hoses or something out of place? if anyone has a pictur that would be great

Latest posts